Small Block Cast Iron Intake Part Missing

-

CrewGunther

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just built 68 318 block .030 over w/ 675 heads, RV cam and 2 bbl cast iron intake from claimed 72 318 for use in 80 D150 followed by 4 speed 727 auto w/ lockup torque converter and 2.76 gear to use as tow vehicle for kid's Hellcat. [have had some days off here recently] Problem is, after hot tank and crack check on this ebay intake, I notice the (what I thought was manual choke sink) is open to exhaust crossover port. Question: Is there a bathtub style part that would block off this port and still allow for the manual choke to bolt in? Seems like I recall from pulling wrenches in the 70's there was just such a part, but I can't find any evidence on the net.
Thanks for any help! Great site by the way!!

yes I think the steel bathtub cover is part of the manual choke . was available from Carter etc. get casting numbers off intake

I’m not understanding this, the bathtub is part of the manifold. It is not directly/open to the cross over.

81FC0FFD-DA30-4CD7-A58F-1953EA816F82.jpeg

2951185 is 1970-2 318 2 barrel, 2531915 is 1968-9 340. show us a picture of a 2951185 at the choke stove area

How's this pretty much stock 318 with an A518 with 2.76 rear end going to work as a tow vehicle. Sounds like it will be struggling to get into overdrive, or very underpowered when towing. Anyone else's opinion?

Already fashioned Block-Off plate and don’t want to remove since I used a Briggs/Stratton exhaust gasket and no leaks. If I find the part I’ll remove. The holes match the Bendix Stromberg choke I was using for this carb but it leaked exhaust and I don’t think it will survive that environment for long. Disregard the center bolt as it’s just plugging hole that was already in the 10 gauge plate. The machined height is same as carb deck but I assure it’s open to crossover.

The part your looking for, pictured below on the OE 4bbl. intake is hard to find and tend to give way after years of use and constant high heat as seen in the photo below. I was given instruction on a repair tip, or just block it off. For me, it d like to use the intake as intended with the choke working the carb.

Take the cup, use plastic food wrap to lay inside the cup and pour in a resin to take the shape of the cup and let it harden. Use the hardened mold to form a thin metal cup insert. Paint the underside with high heat BBQ or like paint on the underside once the replacement cup is epoxied in. Trim as needed before installation.

That’s the home brewed inexpensive way.

A carb swap with an electric choke is probably easier though much more expensive.

71BAE305-9442-4C70-8106-028052F50E88.jpeg

do u need a choke? Is that carb for that intake? 285 or 2951185 is 1970-2 318 whatever. the unique factory single plane 318 intake

Last edited:
How's this pretty much stock 318 with an A518 with 2.76 rear end going to work as a tow vehicle. Sounds like it will be struggling to get into overdrive, or very underpowered when towing. Anyone else's opinion?
Easy lemondata, the underrated 318 has feelings too, she tends to get revved up over comments and thinks she can do it! You’d prob be surprised to know this same truck towed my 440-6 Cuda to many local events in early 80’s w 225/6! Guess depends on definition of underpowered as I don’t recall passing many on a 2-lane. I should mention I had trans built with adjusted ratios. At worst, I’ll drop to a 3.55 or 4:10.

The part your looking for, pictured below on the OE 4bbl. intake is hard to find and tend to give way after years of use and constant high heat as seen in the photo below. I was given instruction on a repair tip, or just block it off. For me, it d like to use the intake as intended with the choke working the carb.

Take the cup, use plastic food wrap to lay inside the cup and pour in a resin to take the shape of the cup and let it harden. Use the hardened mold to form a thin metal cup insert. Paint the underside with high heat BBQ or like paint on the underside once the replacement cup is epoxied in. Trim as needed before installation.

That’s the home brewed inexpensive way.

A carb swap with an electric choke is probably easier though much more expensive.

View attachment 1715524132
That’s it! Thanks much, guess I agree with you since I’ve searched for hours with no luck. I’ll do the electric choke path!

do u need a choke? Is that carb for that intake? 285 or 2951185 is 1970-2 318 whatever. the unique factory single plane 318 intake
Think will likely move to electric choke.
Thanks for all the input folks! What a knowledgebase! You guys are priceless!!

Easy lemondata, the underrated 318 has feelings too, she tends to get revved up over comments and thinks she can do it! You’d prob be surprised to know this same truck towed my 440-6 Cuda to many local events in early 80’s w 225/6! Guess depends on definition of underpowered as I don’t recall passing many on a 2-lane. I should mention I had trans built with adjusted ratios. At worst, I’ll drop to a 3.55 or 4:10.
LOL.... I knew a guy who towed a 2600 lb race car cross country hundreds of miles with an Aspen wagon and a 225, and a 3-on-the- tree manual.

should be a well not open tothe heatt passage o were manifolds different

on the tow vehicle
watch starting in a hill
think of a pg with duble od
not a heavy tow I hope or on flat ground
will be interested in your experiences
i had a car with 3.08 with od worked fine mobilegas economy ryn we ran under 3 with od

should be a well not open tothe heatt passage o were manifolds different

on the tow vehicle
watch starting in a hill
think of a pg with duble od
not a heavy tow I hope or on flat ground
will be interested in your experiences
i had a car with 3.08 with od worked fine mobilegas economy ryn we ran under 3 with od
Say what?

proof reading is good!

-
Back