small block cyl head question

-

A68DART360

Reaction score
Hello all. I want to see what you guys think the best performance head is out there for a small block. 10 sec car application. What brand and are they stock out of box, semi ported, fully ported and what size valves. I am debating on what to build next and what heads to use. Thanks. Eddie

Best head? how money are we speaking?

10 sec ? what is rest of the motor...or car...how much does the car weight?

you can build enough hp to run 10s...the car might be heavy or have a lousey chasis and not run 10s....it is a package deal..

Agree with Tony.

Hard to beat the RHS head Brian does at Indio Motor for what they cost. Capable of 500+ HP which is enough to put a car in the 10's. Really depends on your performance goals.

I would do the 408 with the rhs heads....

The RHS heads are great. A few people are in the 10's with those heads...If you want even more, go with Indy Heads.

No doubt I'll get *** raped as usual, but here goes. If you're lookin for budget heads, don't overlook the original W2 castings. They require ZERO port work to get a car into the 10s and because of new more modern and "better" stuff, you might can find some cheap at a swap meet, ebay ect. Just a thought.

w2 are good, except for the issues with dedicated rockers/intake/header selections.

w2 are good, except for the issues with dedicated rockers/intake/header selections.

currently the least expensive rockers available new are harlan sharps..and they will set you can 1000.00 bucks...plus the intake and headers...depending on which version of the w2 you willl need to buy stands also..

alot of money that can be spend else where..

dont get me wrong...i got a "few" of w2 heads/rockers/intake/headers...but i can get into the 10s with rhs or eddy heads which are less expensive...and I HATE W2 Headers...LOL

I would lighten the car up...get a set of cal trac on the rear...

and do you want to run 10.99 or 10.01?

Yea I know I need to put more info down. it was late when I posted it and I was wasn't thinking. here you go. 68 Dart all steel 3480 lbs w/ me. 380hp 360 magnum but I want to build something better and do not know if I want to stroke a 340 which is hard to come by anymore or a 360 which is plentiful. 3.90 gear and thinking of switching to 4.30. I do have cal-tracs on the car and you know when you hit the 10's you want to go 10.0's The heads I am looking for are what you have came across trying on ypur cars too basically make the car go deep into the 10s for the cheapiest money even though I will spend it if I have too. Just seeing what everyone is using to give me some ideas.

if you want to get deep into the 10s....stroking it in the long run will be cheaper....

Stroked 408 with some worked RHS heads from Brian(member OU812)should get you in the 10,s.Wish I had known about the RHS heads before I bought Eddy,s.My 408 with Eddy heads,solid roller cam [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfT3GSX_Wac"]YouTube - Racing the 66 Dart 073[/ame]

Ran 11.01@121mph 60fts 1.54

Many heads will do the same, it's what it takes to get there that is key in decision making.
And future upgrading and flexibility.

There ar quite a few heads that will flow in the 260-280cfm range

I know a guy making 650hp with a sb in a 360 sprint car with heads that flow [email protected], of corse his compression is also 13.5, the rest follows..

How so? They may not compare to the W2's or any of the really high end Indy stuff, but the magnum heads are miles ahead of any other Mopar small block head. And the bottom end has the benefit of 9:1 compression and better piston design. The only problem is the balance on the Magnums. But if he's already got it in there, he's obviously got it figured out.

Bottom line: no point in running an LA head. Check out the RHS magnum heads. All the benefits of the regular production Magnum heads, without the tendency to crack.

I have heard that the magnum heads have the swirl port design and it is supposed to be pretty good but I am thinking of doing another motor for my car and put the magnum in my wifes 71 swinger because the 318 thats in it leaks oil pretty good and it does smoke alittle when it sits for a few days so it would be a complete build up of another motor probably end up going with a 360 stroked just because of availibility on blocks. What are the stroked sizes people are getting out of the 360's with the different bore sizes.

Small Block stroker sizes? Depends on what you want to spend. 408-414-426 and speed o motive has even larger kits.

How so? They may not compare to the W2's or any of the really high end Indy stuff, but the magnum heads are miles ahead of any other Mopar small block head. And the bottom end has the benefit of 9:1 compression and better piston design. The only problem is the balance on the Magnums. But if he's already got it in there, he's obviously got it figured out.

Bottom line: no point in running an LA head. Check out the RHS magnum heads. All the benefits of the regular production Magnum heads, without the tendency to crack.

hey you better look harder, la-x rhs....

magnum heads suck.

i have ported j heads that flow over 270 cfm, ported factory mags don't go there EVER.

-
Back