Small block dipstick tube

-

67dodgedartconv

Reaction score
Where do I find a correct oil dipstick tube for my 67 318 block? Tried to reuse the old one but can't remove it without mangling it. Have heard the chrome ones don't fit well. Also, my original tube was angled out toward the front of the block but all the new ones I see are straight. Was mine just bent or do you need to bend it yourself or leave it straight? Thanks for any help.

When I use the chrome ones I just bend them to fit. The tubes Bottom gets some RTV sealant, no issues.

I put a chrome one in my 340 when I rebuilt it about 20 years ago, and it has been fine.

The original tube/dipstick is shorter than the new chrome ones.
Also, the new chrome ones seem to be bigger, and dont fit into the block well.
I grinded the outside of the tube, for better fitment, with some rtv.
Having said all that, I dont like the chrome ones. They fit like chit, and are much taller than the original.

Having said all that, I have seen NOS dipstick/tubes on Ebay, plus they have repopped ones.
Thats what I would go with here on out.
Tip of the day: Its been said that you can put the tube in the freezer, and it contracts the metal.
Take it out, use a little rtv and pop it in while still frozen.

Last edited:
Mancini raw dipstick as mentioned, pound in straight (using a screwdriver inserted into tube) and then bend once installed.....I think I used rtv or green Loctite - don't remember which.

I ran into this problem some time back and another FABO member told me about this trick. Find a piece of round stock that fits fairly close to the inside diameter of the tube. Push the rod down the tube as far as you can get it so it's at the flange. Grab it with a vise grip, ( be careful here) and twist back and forth until it comes out. Worked for me, and this one seemed helpless until I used this method. Piece of cake! I could not get it with a punch from the bottom.

extracted.jpg

tube and bar stock.jpg

Tube.jpg

-
Back