Small block distributors with adj mechanical advance

-

evil66

evil66
Reaction score
Just wondering what options are out there for small block distributors that have easily accessible adjustable mechanical advance, both different spring rates and total mechanical advance.

I have an MSD distributor in my Barracuda but the 66 Valiant I am putting this into needs only about 10-12 degrees mechanical advance in the distributor (running on propane and want to run 16-18 degrees initial) and the MSD doesn't have a stopper that will get down to that little advance which is annoying.

Any advice appreciated.

I bought mine from mancini, if I remember it was like 165 easy to curve.

somebody on here made shorter advance stops fer MSD. I don't know why MSD can't

How much total are you trying to hit?

I have 14 degree bushings for MSD distributors.

sounds like a 10degree bushing will work, if he wants 16-18 iniital and 10-12 of mechanical advance

somebody on here made shorter advance stops fer MSD. I don't know why MSD can't

Agreed, for a performance distributor I can't understand why the smallest stop limits to 16 degrees.

Cracked back, really after around 10-12 maximum, noticed you initially put up 10 and 14 then edited, do you make the 10 deg and don't have any stock or only have the 14?

Paul

After reading an ad on E-bay, I won't buy or recommend anything from FBO. Read for yourself. I have no affiliation with either party.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221434174684?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Hey Cobb: does that stand for "CobbyCat" thief? We can play this game also, we have more capability better machinery and can slaughter your price, quality and tech assistance which you have none!.

Beware of the Cobb Parts poorly made, inconsistent and plagiarized copies of our Limiter Bushings. We have been designing and building high quality Ignition Parts and Products In America for nearly 40 years. Our bushings are machined to +- .0001, sold worldwide by Authorized FBO Dealers ONLY.

WOW!!! Selling yourself and product by calling the other guys thieves is bad business!

Didn't realize that anyone held a patent on a round bushing... sheesh.

The window that these bushings swing in is also a factor for how much actual advance you end up with. They aren't all the same size, but, a 10 will get you real close. Just as a 14 will as well. The difference in a 10 and 14* bushing is ~.013". For every .001 in diameter the timing change is ~.15 degrees... are we really going to worry about .0001" or .015 degree timing tolerances??? REALLY??? If you can time your car to .15 degree accuracy, I'll give you a goldstar, at .015 you need to be a rocket scientist. :) Hunting flies with a sledgehammer comes to mind.

Not as though he was the only person to ever make these! I was making these with a hillbilly lathe (drill and file held in a vise). Mine aren't made with a file anymore and they are a bunch less money than than any of the vendors on Ebay when I have them. You don't have to take a file to the sides of mine like you may have to with the fbo unit.

After reading an ad on E-bay, I won't buy or recommend anything from FBO. Read for yourself. I have no affiliation with either party.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221434174684?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

WOW!!! Selling yourself and product by calling the other guys thieves is bad business!

Didn't realize that anyone held a patent on a round bushing... sheesh.

The window that these bushings swing in is also a factor for how much actual advance you end up with. They aren't all the same size, but, a 10 will get you real close. Just as a 14 will as well. The difference in a 10 and 14* bushing is ~.013". For every .001 in diameter the timing change is ~.15 degrees... are we really going to worry about .0001" or .015 degree timing tolerances??? REALLY??? If you can time your car to .15 degree accuracy, I'll give you a goldstar, at .015 you need to be a rocket scientist. :) Hunting flies with a sledgehammer comes to mind.

Not as though he was the only person to ever make these! I was making these with a hillbilly lathe (drill and file held in a vise). Mine aren't made with a file anymore and they are a bunch less money than than any of the vendors on Ebay when I have them. You don't have to take a file to the sides of mine like you may have to with the fbo unit.

Was not aware of all this going on. I agree with making your own.
I use the old OEM dizzy, welded up slots, filed to my curve. Work great with an old MSD 6 box.

Was not aware of all this going on. I agree with making your own.
I use the old OEM dizzy, welded up slots, filed to my curve. Work great with an old MSD 6 box.

Yep, a great budget approach OEM stuff. I've used JB weld when a welder was not available.

-
Back