Small Block Engine Hardware Kit Identify Pars Required?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Which of these pieces will I need for a Mopar 340 assembly? It looks like too many parts to me. Thank you.

IMG_0620.jpg

Which of these pieces will I need for a Mopar 340 assembly? It looks like too many parts to me. Thank you.

View attachment 1716311675
upper left: crank key
under that: cam key
silver bolts: likely thrust plate bolts
black bolts: could also be thrust plate bolts
bronze bush is for the intermediate shaft (it goes in the block)
dowels locate the heads- two on each side

drip tab in the center goes over the thrust plate and is held on by thrust plate bolts

top washer unknown
middle washer is cam shaft "lock" washer
bottom washer unknown

bolt is likely for the cam, but is not correct type (should be a cap head with integral washer)

you're missing the thrust plate and fuel pump eccentric

I have the old ones.
good deal then.

the "correct" bolt for the cam isn't hyper critical. just make sure you have one that is correct length and has good engagement with a washer onto the "crush washer" that holds everybody together there.

and don't forget the loctite.

I'll add this:
The 3 cupped cam "washers" on the right-
Top is for LA roller TBI motors with long nose cam and no fuel pump eccentric.
Middle is for regular LA (or Poly, for that matter) with long nose cam and a fuel pump eccentric.
Bottom is for Magnum motors with short nose cam and no eccentric.
As for the cam plate bolts, I *believe* the longer black ones are for a standard thrust plate and the shorter gray ones are for when you're using a tensioner.

As for the cam plate bolts, I *believe* the longer black ones are for a standard thrust plate and the shorter gray ones are for when you're using a tensioner.
all of the standard non-roller/magnum/anything with a tensioner ones i've see are the shorty bolts with the cross hatched heads.

but given ma mopar's proclivity of "we're out of this! that's okay we'll just use these!" anything is possible.

That was just a best guess on my part, since standard cam plates seem to be thicker than tensioner plates... who knows!
:)

upper left: crank key
under that: cam key
silver bolts: likely thrust plate bolts
black bolts: could also be thrust plate bolts
bronze bush is for the intermediate shaft (it goes in the block)
dowels locate the heads- two on each side

drip tab in the center goes over the thrust plate and is held on by thrust plate bolts

top washer unknown
middle washer is cam shaft "lock" washer
bottom washer unknown

bolt is likely for the cam, but is not correct type (should be a cap head with integral washer)

you're missing the thrust plate and fuel pump eccentric
Damn, a very concise answer
I was an English major

-
Back