Small block help

-

Jason clark

Reaction score
Me and my boy are restoring a 1971 Duster when I got the car the six-cylinder was taken out and 360 out of a magnum police package it is a heavy-duty motor just like the express. It's a 1979 motor. Stock is 195 hp and 280 torque. Iv put on long tube headers full boar single-chamber mufflers 2 1/2 true duel exhaust. It has a 600 Rochester carburetor on it for Barrel. My question is how will this perform in this car I have not been able to drive it cuz I'm in the middle of restoration. Will this car be sluggish or will it be fun to drive I'm not looking for a strip car just something might have a little fun if I want to. If this car is going to be sluggish what else can I do to it to give it a little more pep.
I'm not rich so I'm kind of looking for some easy tricks that me and my boys could do.

Sluggish depends on what you are used to
And may vary from auto to manual

Really, get it rolling and see what it does

Sluggish depends on what you are used to
And may vary from auto to manual

Really, get it rolling and see what it does
Just simple stuff like up here in Vermont we have a lot of kids running just over stock rice burners that like to be cocky asshole. You know the type silver spoon mama's boys that get what they want. Anyway already maybe give them a run for there money. Other than that just maybe a little burn out from time to time and to cruise the highway.

What trans, 904 or 727 and what rear, 7 1/4 or 8 1/4 or 8 3/4, what gear ratio is on the tag on your rear in your Duster. Thanks Webby

WI think the right gear and converter that duster should give those riders a run for thier money

The tag should be bolted to the rear, where the center section, pumpkin, or third member (whatever you want to to call it) sits

This is a tough one to answer since we don't know all the specs and because the performance of the motor will be subjective. There are several possible upgrades but of course, they sometimes affect mileage (if an issue), drivability and always ... the pocketbook. As mentioned, it might benefit from rear gears or a stall converter or engine mods like a cam upgrade or cyl head swap. It's only money after all. ;). If you can get back with additional info, that would help. GL.

I can't say for sure but unless the motor is all worn out and tired a 360 in a A body is not going to be sluggish. I think run it and see what it does.

you'll need at least an 8-1/4, or better yet an 8-3/4" rear axle. That 7-1/4" will not last long behind a healthy 360, especially if you plan on spinning tires.
Not a big fan of quadrajet, but they're ok. If you need another carb, I'd look for an early Carter ThermoQuad. They can be had for less than $50 often times. If the police pkg engine is really a 79, it should have come with a TQ, originally. I am a little biased, I guess, because I've rebuilt maybe a 100 of them. Some people opt for an edelbrock afb copy, they're available new, meh, they're ok, I guess.

IMO it'll suck because for starters the low Compression engines only upgrades really do not help out it on fire for power. But will add up some later as part of a total package.

Give it some cam and a mild head milling and with some port work (bowls) end up being a decent performer.

The converter and rear gears play the next big part.

I've had several 79 300's with the e58 police pkg engine, which ran quite well. If it's in a 1000# lighter vehicle, it should be quite respectable as is. You can always add a cam and such later.

Someone has a NOS kit for sale on here for 200.00. Not a bad price...... Not optimized for your Intake and is a Square Bore Carb spacing.... But chances are when you get it finished at a minimum a Square Bore style carb will end up on the car.... And with an adapter will put you right there....

Dollar for dollar this is your best way to easy HP and your motor may like it.... Otherwise get it finished and as said find out what ya got..... Don't underestimate Rice Crispies..... They are real and extremely capable....

JW

I hope the mama boys you are talking about don't have too much money. If you run up against a Wankel turning 15,000 your gonna need a lot more than a mild 360 unless it's mounted on two wheels. More like a built Hellcat or ZO6.

I had an '80 Aspen Police A38, E58 with that 360. With the Cats, removed, and otherwise stock right down to the exhaust manifolds, it was quite impressive for a smog era car. It had factory 8.25 rear with 2.94 gears. Not a muscle car from the 60's of course, but it definitely did not feel sluggish. Felt very peppy, sounded great and was alot of fun to drive.

With the setup as is, and budget limits, I would suggest the OP put a mild cam in the engine to wake it up. Nothing big at all so that the lower stock compression ratio will still work OK, something that will work with lower rear gears and stock TC, and with mild ramps on the cam, just wake it up a bit and not stress the valvetrain and require a lot of changes and will work without a lot of carb tuning. Something like:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10200260lk/overview/make/dodge
and not any bigger than:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-693902/overview/make/dodge

Then work on the ignition timing and distributor curve. All easy stuff.

I personally would not go through that much work to put in a almost stock cam that still going to sound like moms car and not be any faster. I would not go less than .470 lift
hyd, change the springs and leave it at that. It will run great. if you can find a set of big valve heads, that would be even better.

-
Back