small block id

-

1qwikScamp

Reaction score
i have a friend that just got a 360 block that he is trying to sell me he keeps calling it a roller block. i have yet to look at it. i know you can tell the diffrence in la blocks and magnums by the motor mounting pads or casting ears but what else do i need to look for? i am very familiar with la blocks but not so much with the magnums so any help would be much apprieciated

look at the valley the lifter journals are alot taller for roller lifters. ive got a gutted 93 magnum i can take pics of if you would like

First off it will be BLACK if its untouched OEM.
Then...look at the casting date on the block...should be 1989, 1990, 1991 to be a Roller Cam 360.

If it is just a short block...it should be real clear....there will be 3 bolt holes along the top of the camshaft for the Metal Spider to hold all the lifter dog bones and the lifter bores will have a funny shape machined into the tops so the dog bone lifter retainer can fit.

Here look at this pic I found of a Roller Cam 360 on Google:
kellystuff017.jpg

Are you thinking it is a Roller Cam LA, or Magnum...cause magnum blocks are 1993-2002?

im not sure what it is yet i havent seen it from what he says its a bare roller block doesnt know what year

well good luck....hope the pic helped identify what to look for...don't mistake it for a Roller Cam 318...those are a dime a dozen...least around here.

A Magnum block has the bosses at the back passenger's side, below the head, for the crank sensor. Hard to miss.
All Magnums are roller cams, of course.
The displacement is cast in the side behind the part casting number, for example: 3418496-360-6

Mark.

-
Back