Small block keeps blowing the oil filter off?

-

dusterdood

The Duster Guy
Reaction score
I just fired my 360 I swapped into my '76 duster, and I heard a pop, then oil went everywhere. From the pass side where the filter goes onto that plate. I suspected the Fram filter, because I've heard not to use them for any high RPM use. (Racing) I took it off, and there was nothing wrong with it, but I swapped a Purolator one, and topped off the oil. I fired the engine again, and if puked oil all over. I don't have the 90* adapter on the engine, could there be something behind the flat mount plate?
Mike

I thought the gasket was between the flat plate and the 90* one. Anyone got a pic of it? I've got a rebuild kit, and I bet there's one in there.
Thanks, mike

I remember removing a threaded pipe and some type of metal plate when I installed the 90 degree adapter. But I don’t remember a gasket. I thought there was a metal flange on the block that mated with the gasket on the oil filter to seal it. A picture of what you actually have would help here a lot.

I don't have a picture but when I rebuilt my son's 360 the gasket is the same diameter as the plate and only about 3/16" wide.

There is a gasket behind the metal plate.

Clearly shown and listed in the Parts book for 70-71.

I have seen this happen before, and it was the oil pressure relief valve on the oil pump. it was stuck.

I have seen this happen before, and it was the oil pressure relief valve on the oil pump. it was stuck.

Yup, you have a stuck preasure relief valve. I lost a brand new 289 33 years ago. My girl friend at the time blew one in the drive way and drove it 15 miles to the 289 death. This is serious, deal with it now.

Yup, you have a stuck preasure relief valve. I lost a brand new 289 33 years ago. My girl friend at the time blew one in the drive way and drove it 15 miles to the 289 death. This is serious, deal with it now.

Yes stuck pressure relief valve. Happen to me also

I pulled the plate, and there was no gasket. I found the one from the rebuild kit, and installed it. I believe this is only part of the problem, because the oil pressure gauge is pegged. Where is the oil pressure relief valve? Do I have to drop the pan?
Thanks again, mike

Yes you have to drop the pan. And, might as well just put a new oil pump on, they are cheap.

What are the odds I can take it off without pulling the engine? I've got the standard Hooker headers, and they suck! I can maybe pull the pass side header, but not the drivers without pulling the engine.

whoa whoa wait a minute ! If you had a gasket missing that was the problem. Oil pressure gauge pegged means nothing if it the stock gauge. Get a real pressure gauge and check it.
When the relief valve sticks in the pump it can split th e side of the oil filter. Seen it on brand new also.

I've got a mechanically pressure gauge, and the needle is pegged. I already replaced the gasket behind the plate, and finally got it to hold oil. I ran it last night for about 5 minutes to break in the cam, but it got real hot, so I shut it down. I've drained the oil, and will begin again with new oil, but I want the pressure to be normal before I continue.

Also, do yourself a favor.. New doesnt always mean good. Take the new pump, take it apart, clean the pieces, and then reassemble it. i like to pack a little white lube in the gears to help the system prime. I've seen some issues with debris and/chips iin the releif valve, sticking it open or closed.

I've heard the quality of the melling products can be iffy. Thanks for the tip. I got the pass header off, and the center link loose. Dropped the pan about 6", and just barely got the old pump, and pick up off. The pick up tube screen is clogged with crap. I'm getting a new screen, and pump tomorrow. The tune is melling part# 72-S2? The local Advance Auto is going to have it by 7 AM tomorrow. I'm hoping to snake it back in, and fire it back up sometime this weekend. I got this engine from another guy in trade, so I wonder what crap is in the passages that's in the pick up screen? Hope it's not spun bearing material.

What is it clogged with? If you dont clean out the pan, the new one runs a very good chance of having the same problem. If it's gasket crud, pull the intake and make sure there isnt more stuck up top. If it's valve seals, replace them and clean out the pan. They can lock up the pump if they get small enough and hard enough to get thru the screen. I'd rather do it once than several times.

I dropped the centerlink, and the pan. I've found that the rod bearings all are scored. I had the time, and I had another oil pan gasket, and already bought the new pump, so I filled it with some Brad Penn, and Lucas oil treatment. It has normal pressure now, and runs good, but it's just a matter of time before it lets go. That sucks.
Thanks everyone for the advice.

-
Back