Small Block Timing Tab

-

Rustyfish

Reaction score
After rebuilding the front end on my '66 Barracuda I have finally been driving it quite a bit and finally got around to tuning etc. The original 273 bottom end is long gone, in its place is a 75 318 short block still with the original 273 heads. I went to time it and finally noticed that the timing tab has no marks on it. The damper has been marked previously with a piston stop by someone else previously. The car runs reasonably well for an old engine with blow by, but wanted to actually get a gun on it, but unsure how to proceed. It looks like it has been marked in a couple spots before. How to you read this type of tab?

You tuner gurus can chime in hopefully.
IMG_4565.jpg

Me personaly would use a piston stop again and comfirm TDC Mark the tab and the balancer then measure the diameter of balancer and put the appropriate size timing tape on the balancer.

I have the old (‘67) timing tab on a new balancer. Once I confirmed TDC on the new balancer on the driver side, I just went to the passenger side and made a mark that aligned with the zero mark on the timing tab. It takes a little time to do and is a minor PIA finding TDC, but once your done, your good to go.

If you need one, PM me. I do believe I have one.

Post #8 in this thread. Del does a great job explaining it. You have to go both ways, marking both sides, then TDC is in the middle.

getting to top dead center (yeah i know)

Then you can add a timing tape. To better see mine, I marked 0 with white paint, 18* with yellow paint and 36 degrees with red paint. I have a 5.9 with timing on the driver's side that's very difficult to see so the paint lines help.

The balancer is already taped and marked with a piston stop, the tab however has no marks on it for reference.

Here is mine with a tape on it from bolt centerline. Yours may be different but probably not much.
20200626_104143.jpg
20200626_103721.jpg

Send me your address and I’ll send you a new tab. Just took one off of an engine I’m junking.

Hey Rusty, I have a timing tab that I am no longer using that looks like the one in post 11. It is off a 273. You can have it if you come get it.

-
Back