Small dog + under seat wiring = $5000+ in damage.

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
My story of the day involves a small dog and a 2013 Ford Explorer. This SUV came into the Ford dealer that employees me.

So this dog was playing around in back and decided to stick it's head under the front seat and chew the wires going to the seat occupancy sensor.

For those that don't know, any damage to the Supplementary Restraint Wiring can not be repaired. The Supplementary Restraint Wiring is part of the body harness.

So.... The body harness needed to be replaced. Cost of the harness, $1400.

The body harness runs throughout the entire vehicle. This means all the interior including the dash assembly, headliner, carpet and all interior trim must be removed.

Labor, 39 hours at $105 per hour.

I know new cars are great and everything but I have seen rear view mirrors that cost $1300. Tailgates that cost $2700. Heated power folding side mirrors that cost $1800 per side.

bummer a connector (from the factory) wasnt used with the safety lock so you could repair it.

New cars are stupid.

I didn't do this repair (and I'm glad).
I work in Pre-Delivery at the Ford Plant here in Oakville,Ontario Canada.We have Paint,Body and Trim repair also in this department.I see these heavy jobs on a daily bases...headliners are also a fun job.:banghead:

What I want to know is if the owner's insurance company picked up the bill on that one.

Let's hope that they don't take "Fifi" for any more car rides to chew up anything else....

I don't like how expensive it is to repair new cars. They make them so you can't fix them at home in your garage, like we can with our old Mopars.

Stupid owners shouldn't leave their dogs unattended in the car. I see cars every week where a dog has chewed the door panels or ruined the seats. Our detailers fight over who has to do a detail where a pet has been hauled around. Getting dog hair out of carpet is a *****!

New cars are stupid.

Yep.
On top of that, I am of the opinion that maintence is NEVER a consideration when engineers design anything.
Cost of production, ease of use, safety, reliability, etc.
But never what happens if it breaks and what the fellow who has to fix it will have to do.

I work for a Ford Dealership in Oakville, Ontario. and have seen our Techs, have to do similar repairs. Can only say that better them than me.

Planned obsolescence at its finest. The car companies design the components so that once off warranty, the cost of repairs make buying a new car a very attractive option. I feel sorry for anyone buying a used car 10 years from now

Stupid owners shouldn't leave their dogs unattended in the car. I see cars every week where a dog has chewed the door panels or ruined the seats. Our detailers fight over who has to do a detail where a pet has been hauled around. Getting dog hair out of carpet is a *****!

You got that right.
My Brother's dog goes everywhere with him except when he takes his motorcycle.
One day we were going to go somewhere in my Dart, and he called the dog and I said it aint gonna happen.
He got kind of annoyed with me about it and won't ride in my car all anymore.
Tough ****, the dog isn't getting in my car.

Actually all these people driving around with pets in the car annoy me anyway.:D
(Especially, the ones that are paying more attention to keeping thier damn dog from jumping out the window than thier driving)
Personally I think it should be an instant ticket if the dog is in the drivers lap at ALL, but for some stupid reason the cops don't do anything about it.

My dog goes just about every where with me. But she gets the back seat and I get the front seat.

-
Back