Small oil leak

-

ram250098

69 Barracuda
Reaction score
I swapped my intake out awhile ago and took it out for a good run after parking it I noticed a oil leak under the car. I found out oil is leaking from under the intake at the back near the oil pressure sender, I guess my bead of black was not enough. Can I seal this up with some Ultra Black without removing the intake?
Thanks
AL

That sucks to hear man. I am gonna say NO....the intake must come off to clean the surfaces and reseal properly....best of luck.

I also see I have some oil around the oil filler on the valve cover, could this be to much crankcase pressure? that forced a pin hole in the gasket.
No way to force some black into it eh?
AL

I'd say yes, it's worth a shot. Though you would have to be very careful in cleaning the surface around the area and know for sure that no sealent fell inside, you could just lay down a beed and let it sit until 24 hours pass by.

Make sure your PCV and/or valve cover breather/vent is clear and operating well.

The thing is, I have done this before on big and small block engines. While it's a pain, I guess it's worth the time if nothing else is an issue at hand.

I had this EXACT same problem when I put an airgap intake on my 360. It think it was not sealed enough in corners of the back of the intake where it really needs more of the goop stuff. I also used the cheapo sealer from jegs. I took it off and re-did it with "Right Stuff" brand sealer. It works awesome for sealing intakes.
What intake and valve covers are you using?

Thanks Rob, I can't really get in there to lay a bead but I spead some on with my finger..can't hurt. I bought a new Mopar breather off one of the guy's here, but will change the PVC as well.
Thanks for reply.
AL

Aaron I have a Performer with stock covers. Figures though it is not leaking at the corners, it is just in front of the oil sender.
AL

Mine was leaking from most of the area's at the back of the intake. At first I thought it was the distributor gasket or oil sender leaking, as I was sure I had sealed the intake well. I honestly think my issue was just using the blue sealer I bought from jegs. It did great at the front, but not on the back. It will be difficult to get the intake sealed once it starts leaking without removing it. The "Right Stuff" sealer would be the way to go if you do take it off to re-seal.

I used Right Stuff and still had a little leak in the back too when swapping intakes. I put an extra dab where it was coming from and it seemd to work. It's worth a shot before pulling it apart again...

I have done the exact same thing like rumblefish360 said. clean the heck out of the area, apply sealer and make sure your breather and pcv are working good so it doesn't blow back out.

Thought I had a leak there as well turned out it was coming from the distributor I had a gastek for it in the rebuild set check that ,might not be coming from the intake

-
Back