Smallblock intake manifold shootout.

-
I wonder why I've never seen any magazine run a intake comparison/shootout that includes any of the Offy manifolds. Some people love them and some people think they are junk. I've never seen side by side comparisons between them and the other brands. The old Direct Connection engine book said that the Port-O-Sonic (with mods) was the best intake for a bracket racing combo, but you never see it mentioned at all these days.

I wonder why I've never seen any magazine run a intake comparison/shootout that includes any of the Offy manifolds. Some people love them and some people think they are junk. I've never seen side by side comparisons between them and the other brands. The old Direct Connection engine book said that the Port-O-Sonic (with mods) was the best intake for a bracket racing combo, but you never see it mentioned at all these days.

Maybe it's because Offy doesn't spend the money advertising in said mag?

Have you seen or ever run something like this? its for a 440....... I just bought it and I dont know why!

That's pretty darn cool looking. Don't know if it's any good for hp but it sure looks cool. Looks like something you'd see on a street rod or old school car.

Myron (Locomotion) is a very consistant racer and has won in his class several times as Champion.

HIS combo, he'll tell ya works best with what he has for HIS APPLICATION and it very well may not work for you in what your doing.

Just because a intake does well on this test doesn't mean it'll do well for what you ned it to do. But, if you follow the piped pipers song, don't blame the dancin rats.

Agree'd, thats what I said right above your post.8)

I've raced just about all the intakes your all talking about. First it's a little unfair to compare intakes in this way. Nothing works like a good combo. Just what combo is best takes a lot of testing and tuning. Some intakes may work better with a particular cam and heads, while others not at all. Yes duel and open plenums are different in the torque ranges, but so too are intake configurations. Manufactures want you to buy their products, so they all say they make the best. The magazine findings help a little, but like so many on her have said, "it's all about the bucks". Best way is to go out to the track and talk to some of the people that do this all day during the test and tune times at the track. They're a wealth of knowledge. Good luck.

Not really sure why you directed this at me?,I was just curious to see the mopar muscle article lol,what your saying is very true but also common sense for those who have spent any time at the track,tuning,building engines ect.I port my own intakes so I dont worry about the out of the box flow,if its close to the right design then it will flow correctly when Im done or I wont use it,its very nice to have access to a flow bench.I will say the rpm intake is very strong intake flow wise out of the box and the design is unbeatable for a street car,I use it pretty much on everything with the next step in perfomance being the victor or simlar intake.

Oh, by the way, just for the sake of the original question on the thread, I like the intake sitting on the 360 now: Offy 360* single plane. Old school, maybe, and I'm sure there will be those on here who will respond that it's junk compared to something else, but it works. Too bad it's not set up for putting A/C back into the Dip...

A "Port-o-sonic?

well you can break it down like this (assuming PRODUCTION heads):

Best Dual Plane Intake.. Edelbrock Performer RPM/RPM Air Gap
Best Single plane Intake.. Edelbrock Victor

Side Notes:
for dual plane the LD340 is a very good intake. and when you apply the mods as outlined in the mopar technical service bulletin its every bit as good as the RPM. not bad for a 35+ year old intake. for single planes the MIghty Holley Strip Dominator is/was an awesome intake.. that thing just flat out hauled anywhere in the rpm range right out of the box. Offy Port-O-Sonic tried to bridge the gap between single and dual plane intakes.. kinda along the same lines as what the Holley Street Dominator tried to do. For the "wow" factor you couldn't go wrong with Edelbrocks 340 6bbl intakes.. the 1000cfm didn't hurt anything either. for the double "wow" factor its tunnel ram all the way. those things scream "get outta my way". also the lonely 71-74 Stock Thermoquad intake is a very overlooked intake. those things make GOOD horsepower.. only downfall is they are as heavy as a couple of 24's.

the bottom line boils down to intended usage. all manifolds trade something off wether its bottom end grunt or high rpm horsepower. there is no such thing as a "perfect" carburated intake.

Offy Port-O-Sonic tried to bridge the gap between single and dual plane intakes..

I've got both an Offy Port-O-Sonic and an Offy 360*. The Offy 360* was the bridge the gap intake (essentially a single plane with a plenum divider), the Port-O-Sonic is a single plane with pretty large cross section runners (no plenum divider).

I've got both an Offy Port-O-Sonic and an Offy 360*. The Offy 360* was the bridge the gap intake (essentially a single plane with a plenum divider), the Port-O-Sonic is a single plane with pretty large cross section runners (no plenum divider).

A "Port-o-sonic?

And it's the Offy 360* which sits on the 360. Love it. Pop did about a year's worth of research before getting this intake for his set up.

That's pretty darn cool looking. Don't know if it's any good for hp but it sure looks cool. Looks like something you'd see on a street rod or old school car.
Your right, My buddy has a 37 international rat rod and said he would love to have this on it!

6x2.jpg

I helped a friend in the 60's race a Chevy SB gasser with 6 duces. We always opened the hood and had a rag handy to put out the carb fires if it backfired while cranking. I think it was a 283 +.125 301 with 327 heads - ran good. Drag racing has come a long way.
I've used LD340 on a solid camed 340 & liked it, but didn't think the Iron 340 manifold lost much to it.
I liked a Holly Street Dominator on my 360. It was ported somewhat and had a divider in it - I had 904 and the motor liked the divider.
All the comparisons I read the LD340 does well but Performer RPM's do better.
Chryslers Engine book has been a good refrence for me. Match the intake to your combination.

Unless somebody beat me to it and I missed it.....Lookie what I found!

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...8_dyno_testing_small_block_intakes/index.html

One thing to note in the story is that the Torker II was modified. I don't know why that was even included since it was not an apples-to-apples comparison with the other "stock" manifolds.

One also has to factor in jetteing. It is not uncommon to find that an intake swap requires the carb to be "re-optimized" if you really want to see everything it has to offer - jetting, squirters, pump cams, etc. A dual plane will have a different vacuum signal than a single plane. Different intakes of the same design can also affect the signal due to plenum height, runner volume, length, etc. A spacer, different headers, opening the exhaust, removing an air cleaner, etc. can also affect a carb set-up.

I did a back-to-back comparison between a Weiand Stealth and a Holley Strip Dominator a couple of years ago. I ran both for years, just didn't compare them on the same weekend. I had to stagger-jet the Weiand dual plane for best results. It was almost as good as the Holley single plane but the Holley appeared to be a bit better for my particular combo by almost .10 and 1+ mph. I wish I had more time to do more tuning on both, but settled on the Holley. I figure with all the cam duration, gear, converter stall/flash, etc. that I run, the higher operating range of the Holley worked better because the torque range and peak of the Stealth was skipped over by my 5,000 rpm converter flash, and the rpm's stay above that through the run. I also figure that any milder combos would find the Stealth or similar dual plane as good or better. Just my experience and 2 cents worth.

Unless somebody beat me to it and I missed it.....Lookie what I found!

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...8_dyno_testing_small_block_intakes/index.html

One thing to note in the story is that the Torker II was modified. I don't know why that was even included since it was not an apples-to-apples comparison with the other "stock" manifolds.

Hey Loco. I think the TorkerII was a good idea to put into the shoot out. Reason being, all the other intakes are easy to find at anyplace, any car meet USA. The TorkerII being a popular intake before the RPM came out for something better than a dual plane but not a racey like part, AKA, Holleys Strip Dominator.

They stated that the TorkerII was modded in a "Run what ya brung" dyno room shoot out. The TorkerII has narrow runners like the RPM. Both intakes use a narrower runner to fit all 340/360 head port sizes that have varied a little year by year. The 318 can be port matched to it since it is not a true large port intake equaling the biggest size stock port Mopar put on top of the engines.

My guess is it was an attempt to maxamize the intake for the last engine it was on by the owner.

Also of note, the plenum is very generous and the runners short.

I would have like to seen some more intakes used. A few off the beaten path intakes and maybe even a "STR" IF they could borrow one.

Yes, it was still informative with the modded Torker II.

I had to chuckle about "borrowing" an STR. Definitely a rare and pricey intake.
I remember reading an article on a 340 4-speed Demon, probably from the early-mid '70's, where they did a build-up including a few intake changes up to an STR intake. I think they got it into the 11's back then. I forgot the magazine. It's been too long.

WHEW! 11's back in the early 70's was taken them down.
LOL, yea, they'll never purchase one of those STR's, the brass would have a heart attack!

The torker2 was modified so its not a fair comparison..modify an air gap and see which wins,although even being modified the torker only managed 1 more h.p. then the air gap:-D:-D

The TorkerII was all ready modded. Not in attempt to equal it to the others, but, that is the way it came. It's only fair because it was a run what you brung at the shoot out and that is what the (Prevous) owner did to it.

It is also representive of what people do to intakes yesteryear and today.

HP made on this shoot out only showed what each intake did and what the engine liked as per the build, not as a overall marker on what is able to be done by each intake.

Any one ever seen or used the offy Duel Port manifolds?
I thought i was a grate concept. having the intake runners divided between the primary and secondary..............But my 360, in my pk, never seamed to like it.

It actually was replace with a Holley Strip Dominator that i had. Need to put the iron duel plane back on it.

I've seen 1 and only one and thought it wopuld never work as intended.

Here's an old post I had over on Moparts about some testing I did for a Friend with an LD340. I was shocked to see how well it did up to a certain point. My Son and I both love the Victor340 but our cars are track only. The Super Victor STINKS without a lot of work but can be made to run as I went some low 9.70's with one. I have an Indy intake that I modified to work with Edelbrock heads that I hope to try in 2018. Sorry Photobucket took the pictures off this old post.

Ld 340 flow bench test results | Unlawfl's Race & Engine Tech | Moparts Forums

-
Back