smaller exhaust

-

terry

Reaction score
I have a serious room problem in my 68 barracuda i have 8 3/4, ss leaf springs moved in 1/2"
longer shocks and tti 2 1/2 exhaust to the bumper. once i pulled the rear end out i could see eveything was rubbing each other. so is it a bad idea to reduce the pipe size from 2 1/2 to 2 " from the rear end to the bumper? would this hurt any performance?

Actually, lots of our mopes came from the factory with smaller tailpipes than head pipes.

it's a Chrysler crate 360/380. I know they have 2 1/4" and that may be what I get. I just have to put everything together and see how it looks

I have a serious room problem in my 68 barracuda i have 8 3/4, ss leaf springs moved in 1/2" longer shocks and tti 2 1/2 exhaust to the bumper. once i pulled the rear end out i could see eveything was rubbing each other. so is it a bad idea to reduce the pipe size from 2 1/2 to 2 " from the rear end to the bumper? would this hurt any performance?
If your going to spend money to replace the "rubbing" pipes why not simply replace the pipes with oval pipe (2 1/2") which can fit where normal round pipe won't fit??? These pipes come in vertical and horizontal oval 90, 45s, straights and just about any other shape. Then you don't have to worry about losing power because you're choking it down. They even have oval pipe that is round on one end and oval on the other (transition pipes). Treblig

Attachments

• 884e_1[1].jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 148
  • vib0450416ovl_v1[1].jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 144
  • TRANSWITHINELBOW[1].jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC03330.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC03332.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 149
As the exhaust gasses cool, they take up less volume. 2 at the tail should be OK, although I'd look into whether 2.25 will work from muffler over the axle. For getting the most MPH at the track this will mean less doubts about its impact.

-
Back