Smog container , no brainer ?

-

pilotsf

Reaction score
You guys were right on with my trans seal thanks ! I just bought a daily driver 318 a/c car. There is a round container with 3 or 4 vacum lines going to carb and what not. I have always been told and feel lees is more. Can I remove the container and lines and cap at carb. All the lines are 30 years old and I can replace but I just want to simplify. Its already a rat nest with a/c (blows Ice Cold). Thanks again guys. I attached pic of car , but can take pics of container.

If I'm reading your license plate correctly, you are in California? If so, and you need to smog this car, be aware that California started requiring as of last year that your evaporative canister is working correctly and that the associated system doesn't have any leaks - that way no unburnt hyrdocarbons are getting into the atmosphere as your gas evaporates. You may have to leave that canister in the car just for that test. It's added another 5 or 10 dollars to the smog check the last time that I had one done last December!
One way that I got my Barracuda to pass smog was to make sure that I went to a smog shop that only had one tailpipe probe and that way with my dual exhaust, the machine was only sniffing half of my engine. As long as the technician didn't say I needed a NOX Kit or something else like that, I was good to go. I always got new plugs, rebuilt the carb, and verified the timing was where it should be just to make sure that everything was the best it could be for the test.
Now that my car has been grandfathered (it's a '69) and no longer needs a smog check, I don't have to worry about it anymore. Anything 1976 and newer needs a smog check here, and I can't make out the year on your new car.
I totally understand wanting to simplify your engine compartment, but I'd check to make sure you'll need it or not before removing it.
Enjoy your car. Looks great!

I'm a life-long California resident ( 40 years ) . My first car was a 1972 Dart Swinger , 318 , etc. , etc. , original Ca car , complete with EEC , floor jet EGR , preheat air cleaner . Dealt with those dumb *** "white glove" smog checks from 1989 - 1997 ...

Boy was I happier than **** on 1st January 1998 when 1973 & earlier cars became smog check exempt !

My present daily driver is a 1972 Coronet ( 318 , etc. ) . 49 state car ( no "N95" sales code , car's from out of state originally ) ; I've had it for 6 years now , and NOT once have I had to have this damned state and its crooks check its emissions .

The EEC canister has vacuum leaks all-freakin-over , so I disconnected the ***** ; capped-off its ports on the carb / intake tee ; ran a fuel / emission hose to the "tank" line that formerly went to the EEC canister .
No more irritating vacuum leaks !

Your ( gorgeous Scamp is a 1972 model ; is it originally TB3 Blue ?? LOVE the original blue & yellow plates ! Keep them !!

I'm NOT opposed to emission reductions ; but I am against this stupid , money-hungry state raping its residence for ridiculous , invasive smog checks .

Car's 20 + years old ? EXEMPT IT !!!!!

Car's 19 years old & newer ? AT THE PIPE ONLY TESTING !! After all , that's ALL that should matter !!!

Arizona's looking better every day ...

If I'm reading your license plate correctly, you are in California? If so, and you need to smog this car, be aware that California started requiring as of last year that your evaporative canister is working correctly and that the associated system doesn't have any leaks - that way no unburnt hyrdocarbons are getting into the atmosphere as your gas evaporates. You may have to leave that canister in the car just for that test. It's added another 5 or 10 dollars to the smog check the last time that I had one done last December!
One way that I got my Barracuda to pass smog was to make sure that I went to a smog shop that only had one tailpipe probe and that way with my dual exhaust, the machine was only sniffing half of my engine. As long as the technician didn't say I needed a NOX Kit or something else like that, I was good to go. I always got new plugs, rebuilt the carb, and verified the timing was where it should be just to make sure that everything was the best it could be for the test.
Now that my car has been grandfathered (it's a '69) and no longer needs a smog check, I don't have to worry about it anymore. Anything 1976 and newer needs a smog check here, and I can't make out the year on your new car.
I totally understand wanting to simplify your engine compartment, but I'd check to make sure you'll need it or not before removing it.
Enjoy your car. Looks great!

Thanks for the info. Its a 72 scamp. No smog ( for now)

I'm a life-long California resident ( 40 years ) . My first car was a 1972 Dart Swinger , 318 , etc. , etc. , original Ca car , complete with EEC , floor jet EGR , preheat air cleaner . Dealt with those dumb *** "white glove" smog checks from 1989 - 1997 ...

Boy was I happier than **** on 1st January 1998 when 1973 & earlier cars became smog check exempt !

My present daily driver is a 1972 Coronet ( 318 , etc. ) . 49 state car ( no "N95" sales code , car's from out of state originally ) ; I've had it for 6 years now , and NOT once have I had to have this damned state and its crooks check its emissions .

The EEC canister has vacuum leaks all-freakin-over , so I disconnected the ***** ; capped-off its ports on the carb / intake tee ; ran a fuel / emission hose to the "tank" line that formerly went to the EEC canister .
No more irritating vacuum leaks !

Your ( gorgeous Scamp is a 1972 model ; is it originally TB3 Blue ?? LOVE the original blue & yellow plates ! Keep them !!

I'm NOT opposed to emission reductions ; but I am against this stupid , money-hungry state raping its residence for ridiculous , invasive smog checks .

Car's 20 + years old ? EXEMPT IT !!!!!

Car's 19 years old & newer ? AT THE PIPE ONLY TESTING !! After all , that's ALL that should matter !!!

Arizona's looking better every day ...

AWESOME ! Cool You know my concerns. It runs good but I can tell it runs rough sometimes so I want to start simplifying. I Understand capping on the carb. I will keep vacume advance and pcv hose to carb. all the other hoses I want gone. I,m confused on this step. Sorry " ran a fuel / emission hose to the "tank" line that formerly went to the EEC canister "

129,000 miles, a little rust in the trunk, needs a blue carpet, a/c ice cold. Original paint. Paid 1700.00 Sunday !

-
Back