Smoke

-

EdM

Reaction score
Sitting here in north Idaho. Below is the normal view of the Selkirk's.

vgAC7AF.jpg

Todays view.

oORnDag.jpg

You can smell it and taste it at the moment. Winds (maybe rain) are supposed to move it by tomorrow eve. There are a couple fires a couple of ridges to the west. We headed over to Thompson Falls for an estate sale today and the smoke was terrible due to the Thorn Creek fire near there.

The Western USA and Canada Wild Fires are creating lots of smoke that is now drifting to the Midwest.

Here is what it has been looking like for the last 3 days here in Minnesota. 3 mile visibility and lots of smoke haze, and even blocking down the Sun in the middle of the day.

20210729_184011.jpg

20210729_184250.jpg

20210730_094723.jpg

20210729_184201.jpg

Screenshot_20210730-131826_Chrome.jpg

Unhealthy being outside. Fortunate to have Air Conditioning in the house and shop to help keep the smoke smell at bay.

So Yeah good time to be building engines in the shop, not having to go out anywhere.

This is expected to keep up until Wednesday here. Hopefully the air currents will shift then and bring some fresh air back in.

I went out to state line this morning, met a guy and bought a tilt / trim unit, went home, talked to the neighbor about his "new" boat, and went in the house and STAYED there.

if that is your back yard and those brown ones are beetle killed trees, I'd remove them. While you are at it space out the healthy trees by removing all but the best and tallest bug free trees. Aim for 200-400 trees per acre or no less than a 10'x10' spacing. If the remaining trees hold alot of dead limbs in the lower canopy, consider pruning those. Fewer trees can resist the beetle better and you/they can manage a ground fire in taller timber. Make a pile and burn it while the snow is on the ground or your wet season if Idaho has one of those ?? (maybe look to see if you need a permit for smoke management first). Smoke sucks but fire near home is a disaster. Stay safe up there ya'll!

This summer has been like living in hell, for all the years I've lived in Idaho I have never seen it this dry, hot and smoky all at once for weeks on end. My summer recreation has been limited.

I am finally seeing blue sky tonight. It has been hazy for a week or two.

Cleared off here now today, fortunately.

20210801_201327.jpg

Hope the fresh air lasts. It was like a Nuclear Aftermath for 5 days with all the particulate in the air.

Take the Fresh Air and Fresh Water for granted, until it becomes polluted.
Then what . . .

Toke.gif
Did somebody say smoke man?
Last year we had the smoke from Monterey County 150 miles away.
Year before it was Ventura County 150 miles away.
That stuff from Ventura was weird.
Prevailing winds here are NW.
That fire was SE of us.
Smoke was traveling in a clockwise circle, out over the ocean and right straight to us :realcrazy:

We have lots of smoke also. Went to the lake. Stayed in the camper most of the time to keep out of the smoke and the heat. Never even took the boat out. Kim

Yesterday evening. Lots of fires, closest one 60 miles. The govt started evacuating cottage country…
1CD42523-5EBD-4B48-9DC9-E8726EE1878A.jpeg

South Central Oregon here, been smoky like that for several weeks. Of course we are only about 40 miles from the Bootleg fire, the biggest fire in the country, been a little better the last few days, that fire is now around 70% contained.

-
Back