Smoked glass pictures and/or personal experience with it

-

blue440duster

Reaction score
Looking at glass for the Duster on the inter-web and thinking of going with Smoked glass this time, would be nice to see some pics and hear the pluses & minuses of living with it from Ya'll , I've never had it before and don't prefer to go the window tint "film" route.

I built a 1951 Ford F1 rat rod truck a few years back and purchased glass off Ebay then had a glass installer install it and he mentioned "technically" he shouldn't be installing it because it didn't have any markings that it was actual safety glass and in an accident it might break into large pieces and lop my melon off instead of shatter into tiny pieces as safety glass does, So this time I'm Not going to ASSume it's safety glass when buying.... Shockingly after looking at a dozen glass sellers the only one I find with the safety glass markings on "smoked glass" is ECS automotive and I'm not sure if it IS legit or just marked on it along with the [pretty pricey]date coding(kind of their specialty) ...I'll be calling them to ask.

I'm Not comfortable just taking the word of an Ebay seller that says "Oh yeh it's safety glass!" wthout some markings ..... Mankind has failed me Too many times at this point.

I supose I could order a small cheap piece first and do my own wack-a-moe test on it .

Looking at glass for the Duster on the inter-web and thinking of going with Smoked glass this time, would be nice to see some pics and hear the pluses & minuses of living with it from Ya'll , I've never had it before and don't prefer to go the window tint "film" route.

I built a 1951 Ford F1 rat rod truck a few years back and purchased glass off Ebay then had a glass installer install it and he mentioned "technically" he shouldn't be installing it because it didn't have any markings that it was actual safety glass and in an accident it might break into large pieces and lop my melon off instead of shatter into tiny pieces as safety glass does, So this time I'm Not going to ASSume it's safety glass when buying.... Shockingly after looking at a dozen glass sellers the only one I find with the safety glass markings on "smoked glass" is ECS automotive and I'm not sure if it IS legit or just marked on it along with the [pretty pricey]date coding(kind of their specialty) ...I'll be calling them to ask.

I'm Not comfortable just taking the word of an Ebay seller that says "Oh yeh it's safety glass!" wthout some markings ..... Mankind has failed me Too many times at this point.

I supose I could order a small cheap piece first and do my own wack-a-moe test on it .
I’d like to know what you find out. I wasn’t aware of ECS as a vendor and checked their web site. The best price I have gotten for a rear windshield from a well-know vendor was $1500. ECS shows $500 for the rear and $450 for the front. Thanks for the information.

I can only imagine night vision would be terrible

azaustin wrote: I’d like to know what you find out. I wasn’t aware of ECS as a vendor and checked their web site. The best price I have gotten for a rear windshield from a well-know vendor was $1500. ECS shows $500 for the rear and $450 for the front. Thanks for the information.

Did you mean $1500 for the whole set/car? Classic Ind. prices out at around $1300 for the whole car that's factory green tint with markings (pentastar, safety codes but No date coding) And it IS tempered laminate safety glass. from AMD

Haven't called ECS yet but I'm sure theirs is safety glass also but its a bit pricey-er at $2200(whole car) because the put date codes on it for your car

$1500 for the back glass only. Plus shipping. ECS can’t get the rear glass for a ‘65 Dart, just the front, at $450 + shipping. I will check out Classic. Thanks. AMD doesn’t show my glass on their site.

-
Back