Smokey and the Bandit

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
I finally got around to watching the first smokey and Bandit movie.

Good stuff, I have no idea how I never discovered this before. I'm really digging the 70s trucker scene.

How cool would it have been if he had selected a dodge little red express as his diversion vehicle.

Now I'm off to part 2, he's headed to Boston always on watch for them bears.

Bandit forever, watch out for that 10-73

Over and out

I mentioned this movie in your trucker thread.
Made black Trans Am's pretty popular.
I always think of the song.

Last edited:
Break channel #19
Anybody got their Ears On?

20221013_083109.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Patiently waiting its turn in the garage!:)

View attachment 1716047581
Next time I get up to my brother's house I will have to remember to take some pics of his Trans Am collection. Last count it was 7 complete cars, plus an extremely rare 71 Formula 455 H.O. 4 speed that is currently undergoing a full restoration. He pulled it out of a chicken coop about 3 years ago, it sat there for some 30 years.

I know the guy that painted the scene on the side of "Snowman's Truck", his name is Jimmy Norris and he still has a copy of the canceled check hanging on his shop wall.

He was paid $10,000.00 to do that for Hal Needham. Hal liked his work so much that he did the work on the Bandit movies and for "Stroker Ace"

I owned a '78 Gold SE Trans Am back in the mid-90s. 400, auto, w/ T-tops. Bought it for $900, drove it about 6 mos. or so and sold it for $1500. Smokey & the Bandit car is actually a Black SE Trans Am but most folks know them as a Bandit edition. :thumbsup:

Oh, and the movie was filmed locally around Atlanta. The scene where Buford is in the truck stop with the car on a jack was at a truck stop that was at I-85 and Pleasant Hill Rd. but is long gone. They filmed a scene at a station on the side of Ga. 85 below Fayetteville (just up the road from my in-laws house) that was cut from the final movie. My wife said they spruced up the place and painted the storage tanks behind the station and then dropped the scene.

Oh, and the movie was filmed locally around Atlanta. The scene where Buford is in the truck stop with the car on a jack was at a truck stop that was at I-85 and Pleasant Hill Rd. but is long gone. They filmed a scene at a station on the side of Ga. 85 below Fayetteville (just up the road from my in-laws house) that was cut from the final movie. My wife said they spruced up the place and painted the storage tanks behind the station and then dropped the scene.

Also filmed some on I-16 around Dublin. IiRC a cop in the movie was an actual cop who recently passed away.

I love the movie...you sumbitch, lol.

The t-tops and cop car with the roof removed made that movie a lot easier to film and convey I reckon.

One of the few films I've seen in a theater. Saw this Boise upon '77 release.
Others are Bonnie and Clyde, Cool Hand Luke, Paint Your Wagon, Love Bug . . .

I owned a '78 Gold SE Trans Am back in the mid-90s. 400, auto, w/ T-tops. Bought it for $900, drove it about 6 mos. or so and sold it for $1500. Smokey & the Bandit car is actually a Black SE Trans Am but most folks know them as a Bandit edition. :thumbsup:
Worth a hell of a lot more than $1500 today, regardless of condition. One of my brother's cars is a 77 SE Trans Am 400 4 speed t-top black and gold, bought as a basket case for $5k. Should be close to a $75k car when done. I think the option package is known as Y82.

I finally got around to watching the first smokey and Bandit movie.

Good stuff, I have no idea how I never discovered this before. I'm really digging the 70s trucker scene.

How cool would it have been if he had selected a dodge little red express as his diversion vehicle.

Now I'm off to part 2, he's headed to Boston always on watch for them bears.

Bandit forever, watch out for that 10-73

Over and out
Very good movie. First one is best. Two and three not as good but still worth watching.

Next time I get up to my brother's house I will have to remember to take some pics of his Trans Am collection. Last count it was 7 complete cars, plus an extremely rare 71 Formula 455 H.O. 4 speed that is currently undergoing a full restoration. He pulled it out of a chicken coop about 3 years ago, it sat there for some 30 years.
Got to play with a GTO with that Formula IV 455 in it. Big time fun after I made it run right. :steering:

I have the "smokey and the bandit" rough rider cars (battery operated like a stomper) but not the semi trailer. They are from the early 80's, of course part of my stomper collection. I remember when the CB was a thing, my brothers were truckers during that era. And a lot of cars, trucks, and vans had whoopie antennas with CB's

I can't take a picture now, but basically these

working-smokey-bandit-rough-rider_1_227455680bc4c5faebab390acc8bdcf2.jpg

smokey and bandit.jpg

Funny trru story. Back before the Bandit movie and I still lived in SW Ga. and Coors was not sold East of the big river, I had bought a new 2 horse inline trailer to pick it up at the factory in Ft. Worth. Word had got around with my friends, and then their friends and etc. and wanted me to bring back some case of Coors before crossing the big river. :confederateflag:That trailer would hold lots of those cases if you stacked them right. (I been told..)

-
Back