smokin not in a good way

-

indian

Reaction score
got a 64 dart gt 273 6000 miles on rebuild started smoking out of passenger side exhust compression good did use a quart of oil on a 700 mile trip not getting hot put new plugs points does not smoke all the time and not until warmed up and only when you let off of gas and then accelerate. I thought maybe a head gasket. anybody got any ideas????

does not smoke all the time and not until warmed up and only when you let off of gas and then accelerate

An old boy once told me that if it smokes going uphill, rings. If it smokes going downhill, valve seals.

I'm betting you have a bad valve seal or two, when you let of the gas it sucks some oil in and when you hit the gas it's burning it and expelling it.

That ol'boy told ya right Bad Sport. Good advice.

id say 275,000 miles is the problem.you got your moneys worth on that rebuild.

an old boy once told me that if it smokes going uphill, rings. If it smokes going downhill, valve seals.

I'm betting you have a bad valve seal or two, when you let of the gas it sucks some oil in and when you hit the gas it's burning it and expelling it.

x2

Alot of em will give a puff of smoke on startup when the valve stem seals are bad. I like the sealed power type seals if your heads are machined to accept them. Had problems with the O-ring type that come in a gasket sets.

Alot of em will give a puff of smoke on startup when the valve stem seals are bad. I like the sealed power type seals if your heads are machined to accept them. Had problems with the O-ring type that come in a gasket sets.

Small block Mopars use umbrella type seals. The intakes fit tighter over the guide, but the exhausts just kinda float on the valvestem to sling off the excess.

Got photos of the type you are referring to?

Valve stem seal, positive type, sealed power ST2001

Attachments

• _t2ec16z__y8e9s2flcuubsj-b-riow___32.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 85
-
Back