Snorkel scoop benifts?

-

viperredduster

Reaction score
I have a flat steel hood on the duster now. How much would the weight loss and forced air help out at the track if I switch to a snorkel type fiberglass hood using the hinges and pins.

My Dart dropped a solid tenth going to a sealed scoop .I tried it with no pan and seal first and the car acually slowed down a bit.Its just an old 60's vintage red plexi job that i got off Ebay for cheap.It fits the feel of the car as well IMO.I made the pan from sum galvanized tin and used an air horn on the carb with a foam seal glued to the pan .Cheap but effective ...

My Dart dropped a solid tenth going to a sealed scoop .I tried it with no pan and seal first and the car acually slowed down a bit.Its just an old 60's vintage red plexi job that i got off Ebay for cheap.It fits the feel of the car as well IMO.I made the pan from sum galvanized tin and used an air horn on the carb with a foam seal glued to the pan .Cheap but effective ...

Are you running any type of filter or screen over the carb?

i made my pan out of gal. metal thats about 18/20 " long and about 12" wide then i cut the bottom off of a air cleaner that i had laying around and order the foam from jegs that is fire ret. use some inter. spary adh. to seal foam to metal been like that for about 6yrs now and it fits pretty good to the hood i dont use a air cleaner but i dont drive my car very far 10miles top.mostly strip time.....

i made my pan out of gal. metal thats about 18/20 " long and about 12" wide then i cut the bottom off of a air cleaner that i had laying around and order the foam from jegs that is fire ret. use some inter. spary adh. to seal foam to metal been like that for about 6yrs now and it fits pretty good to the hood i dont use a air cleaner but i dont drive my car very far 10miles top.mostly strip time.....

I drive mine a lot on the street. I am not so sure I want to get a scooped hood so I might just get a flat fiberglass hood and do something like this.

http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.775

you can always put a cleaner on top of it with the pan on alot of people do it and alot of people use the k/n type with the top like the sides i cant think of the name its called...but if you look around the tracks youll see some with a cleaner on the pans..

you can always put a cleaner on top of it with the pan on alot of people do it and alot of people use the k/n type with the top like the sides i cant think of the name its called...but if you look around the tracks youll see some with a cleaner on the pans..

Thanks man. I just want to see how fast I can go before I change the motor combo.

well if thats your plan put a scoop on it and a pan more air most of the time and you get more power ....also helps to cool the fuel to a point and cooler fuel is more power...by the way thats a pretttttttttty car you have there....

Thank you man.. I am gonna try a carb spacer, diff plugs, move the battery, and turn up the two step in a few weeks to see if shell run a 11.90.

I might just take the hood off to see how she likes the lighter front end before I do the hood or intake setup.

Thank you man.. I am gonna try a carb spacer, diff plugs, move the battery, and turn up the two step in a few weeks to see if shell run a 11.90.

I might just take the hood off to see how she likes the lighter front end before I do the hood or intake setup.

You will probably be slower without a hood.

Well I more than likely would be running at the local 500' track so there isnt much big end.

Sucks though cause you only get a 60' and 330'

It's only 4 bolts. Worth a try I guess. Post the info after you run it, Im interested how much of a difference a hood makes in 500'.

Yeah it is really just to see how it works in the short game. I can use my times to see what it would have "done" in the 1/4 with a glass hood and bumpers.

A good sealed hood scoop that`s set up correctly should net you a tenth or two in the 1/4 mile. Keep the top of the carburetor 1/2 - 3/4" below the plane of the hood and make sure it`s sealed so only fresh cold air is brought into the engine.

Are you running any type of filter or screen over the carb?
No its a drag only deal.I keep the air horn covered with shower cap when i transport it or in the pits just to keep something from finding its way into the carb on the road .I have run 11.40's / 7.20's with it and a mild 408 and glide...

100_2684.jpg

100_2352.jpg

I've always wanted to know how much drag a scoop has. I like the under hood ram air kits, but they are a little pricey. I wish a magazine would do a back to back test. To me, the best way to do it is with an underhood system, to take away the drag. Of course, it depends on how much underhood room you have.

I've always wanted to know how much drag a scoop has. I like the under hood ram air kits, but they are a little pricey. I wish a magazine would do a back to back test. To me, the best way to do it is with an underhood system, to take away the drag. Of course, it depends on how much underhood room you have.

I agree that they are expensive for what you get but it sure would be cool. I like the idea so I can keep my flat gloss black hood and still get cold air in the motor.

could you just buy some of that flex tube in maybe 4" and make your own underhood kit..just a thought but should be pretty simple and cost would be cheap...just thinking out loud..

could you just buy some of that flex tube in maybe 4" and make your own underhood kit..just a thought but should be pretty simple and cost would be cheap...just thinking out loud..

I already thought about that, but only on the inside :-D

man i wish i could get you and my son in the shop together no telling what would come out the door when it opens........keep at it young gun ......hay if you do go the build your own route you save and if it works out for you your ahead of the game if it doesnt work your just out of a few dollars and time.......i try to do anything i can to save if possible..and build make what i can....

man i wish i could get you and my son in the shop together no telling what would come out the door when it opens........keep at it young gun ......hay if you do go the build your own route you save and if it works out for you your ahead of the game if it doesnt work your just out of a few dollars and time.......i try to do anything i can to save if possible..and build make what i can....

How old is he? And its funny because I am off at college in starkville at MSU and in between class I will call my dad back home (bout 130 miles away around Jackson MS) and tell him bout some idea to shave a hundreth off my car and all he can say is "I thought you were going to school" but the gearhead in him always comes around..

-
Back