So anyone know what this is?

-

Korican

Newb
Reaction score
When I bought the car, the guy said something about fill it up and air shocks but I wasn't paying much attention at the time... So anyone know what is up with this? Figured anything to do with air shocks or air ride would require a air tank somewhere on the car.

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

So anyone know what is up with this? Figured anything to do with air shocks or air ride would require a air tank somewhere on the car.

No air tank, if you remove the cap you can pump up the air shocks through that fitting.

Look at the second pic, it looks like an air line running around the rear of the gas tank.

Problem is, when running air shocks (which I personally don't like), they should be plumbed independently so when cornering the air doesn't push from one shock to the other with the weight transfer.

Ok so I guess I did hear that guy right, so from the nozzle it just goes straight to those shocks... So is that 200 psi on the label around the nozzle?

Thanks!

No air tank, if you remove the cap you can pump up the air shocks through that fitting.

Look at the second pic, it looks like an air line running around the rear of the gas tank.

Problem is, when running air shocks (which I personally don't like), they should be plumbed independently so when cornering the air doesn't push from one shock to the other with the weight transfer.

Ah good to know, and thanks very much for the info!

Well, that's what it says, it looks like. I certainly wouldn't pump them up that much, most times 50 to 60 lbs is enough.

I had them on my car when I bought it, they were one of the first things to come off and promptly put them in the trash can.

Well, that's what it says, it looks like. I certainly wouldn't pump them up that much, most times 50 to 60 lbs is enough.

I had them on my car when I bought it, they were one of the first things to come off and promptly put them in the trash can.

Yeah not so sure how I trust these lol.

I would throw them away. I have seen many a mopar with a shock tower pulled away from the trunk floor., once that metal is ripped, it is a real B#### to properly repair.
Having this damage is a dead giveaway as to how the car was treated.

Air shocks were used a lot around my area when I was a teenager. Guys would put extra long shackles and add air shocks to jack up the rear end of their car, apparently to make it go faster and handle better.

At 16 in 1971, I installed a set of Hi-Jackers on my 69' GTX . After cranking up the torsion bars.....I was riding high.

I routed the plastic lines right next to the tailpipes. Didn't take long for the lines to melt....I had a lot to learn.

I had a brand new pair if Gabriel air shocks when I bought the valiant. They blew there tops after 5 miles at 40 psi. I sent them back and ordered S/S springs.

I would throw them away. I have seen many a mopar with a shock tower pulled away from the trunk floor., once that metal is ripped, it is a real B#### to properly repair.

x2

Air shocks are useful. I've had them on a few cars over the years. We used a station wagon with air shocks to haul heavy loads of cases of oil and parts. The air shocks could be pumped up to level out the car. I had a cordoba I used to tow trailers with. It had air shocks with a pump on board to inflate them. I could hook up a trailer and pump it up level from the drivers seat. Useful for their intended purpose, but not a performance shock!

As I recall, the air shocks were the cheap alternative to get clearance for bigger tires and the desired stance back in the day. Hell you had to have the Barracuda high enough to slip those N50-15 boots on! To the order of around $50 for air shocks or $200+ for springs and longer shocks from DC. I think many went the 50.

Air shocks were also a help for trailer towing with your car along with clamp on helper springs for the shocks or leafs. Some shocks are still sold with overload springs installed. Long shackles were yet another alternative.

Ah yeah would like to avoid that.

Usually they are a cheap fix for other issues, such as sagging leaf springs.

Do they work, yes.

Is it the best solution, absolutely not.

I see.

Air shocks were used a lot around my area when I was a teenager. Guys would put extra long shackles and add air shocks to jack up the rear end of their car, apparently to make it go faster and handle better.

At 16 in 1971, I installed a set of Hi-Jackers on my 69' GTX . After cranking up the torsion bars.....I was riding high.

I routed the plastic lines right next to the tailpipes. Didn't take long for the lines to melt....I had a lot to learn.

I had a brand new pair if Gabriel air shocks when I bought the valiant. They blew there tops after 5 miles at 40 psi. I sent them back and ordered S/S springs.

Air shocks are useful. I've had them on a few cars over the years. We used a station wagon with air shocks to haul heavy loads of cases of oil and parts. The air shocks could be pumped up to level out the car. I had a cordoba I used to tow trailers with. It had air shocks with a pump on board to inflate them. I could hook up a trailer and pump it up level from the drivers seat. Useful for their intended purpose, but not a performance shock!

As I recall, the air shocks were the cheap alternative to get clearance for bigger tires and the desired stance back in the day. Hell you had to have the Barracuda high enough to slip those N50-15 boots on! To the order of around $50 for air shocks or $200+ for springs and longer shocks from DC. I think many went the 50.

Air shocks were also a help for trailer towing with your car along with clamp on helper springs for the shocks or leafs. Some shocks are still sold with overload springs installed. Long shackles were yet another alternative.

Thanks all for the info.

Just so there is no confusion here :D the above post was to be taken as sarcastic. Your car will handle like crap if you go that route. Not to mention your car will look like a dog in heat.

Just so there is no confusion here :D the above post was to be taken as sarcastic. Your car will handle like crap if you go that route. Not to mention your car will look like a dog in heat.

In the early 70's....we jacked them up ....front and back...because we thought it looked cool.

We were also driving on bias ply tires too....most had 3:23 or 3:55 gears....for top end. No wonder we buried a few friends.

I think in the later years air shocks were used to hold the rear up because of sagging springs......either case was not for high performance or handling

For us guys back in the day, air shocks had a more practical use, The SS springs and specialty parts were outta reach in price for most weekend warriors,.

For me,, my car was set up in race trim, with 1/2 inch between the pinion snubber and floor, and with the air shock lowered down to 12 lbs dr, and 16 lbs pass., with dual inlets, you could preload your rear-end, I used the long charger shocks to get the travel,, and never had a hook up prob, with Max Wedge, Hemi's or the 340..

Daily driving,, shocks air would stay low,, going camping,, or travelling with a coupla of heavy friends in the backseat,, towing a ski boat,, the air press goes up to keep the snubber from pounding the floor..

So,, for some who couldn't afford the specialty parts,, and wanted to win the trophy,, air shocks were a very viable way to help tune your suspension...

Sure, most guys just wanted the *** way up,, but air shocks did contribute to better et's,, and I got the hardware to show it..

all I got out of air shocks and a high *** end was wheel hop. I clamped the front of the springs and that helped some....but my Get-X ran and launched better without em.

results may vary....just my experience (early 70's)

-
Back