So do you cut it up and racecar it, or sell it and get something else..

-
What do you mean it's not RARE? They're not making these anymore! I'm in the same boat I have a nice 69 Swinger clone with A/C,P/S,P/B bukets and console. I just can't bring myself to cutting it up. I do want to build a NSS BB 67-69 Dart, so I'm lookinf for one that is allready a race car. I say save it as is. But it is your car.

hate to see it all cut up myself but if you try to sell it probably won't bring what you need for it so you have to do what ya have to do..

IMO, I'd keep your weekend cruiser and find a roller race car on here, BBD, fleabay, or racing junk. There are plenty out there in various stages of a roller. I bought my Demon off racing junk for 8 two years ago, it was a 340 car in it's previous life but someone cut it up and built it as I bought it. My engine builder, chassis builder and tin man have told me my car is worth a lot more than I paid for it, just in the race parts in and on the car. As I said in the beginning, JMO...

How much would you need to get out of it if you were to sell it as-is?

Well, that's the trick. I couldn't sell it as is. I'd need to get my motor and trans at least, and put something more civilized in this car.

The car is probably too nice for what I'm doing with it. I freak out if it gets rained on, worry about idiots bumping into it in the staging lanes, that kind of crap. You would be really surprised at how many people think your car is for leaning on....

It definitely draws a crowd when its at the track, though. Amazing how many people dig it.

On the flip, running 11s with a lap belt doesn't feel so smart sometimes. I bet this thing (and thus, me) would wad up like tissue paper if I hit the wall at the top end of the track, even at only 113 mph.

Steve

Well, that's the trick. I couldn't sell it as is. I'd need to get my motor and trans at least, and put something more civilized in this car.

The car is probably too nice for what I'm doing with it. I freak out if it gets rained on, worry about idiots bumping into it in the staging lanes, that kind of crap. You would be really surprised at how many people think your car is for leaning on....

It definitely draws a crowd when its at the track, though. Amazing how many people dig it.

On the flip, running 11s with a lap belt doesn't feel so smart sometimes. I bet this thing (and thus, me) would wad up like tissue paper if I hit the wall at the top end of the track, even at only 113 mph.

Steve

I pulled a 70,000 mile 318/904 out of a 1970 Coronet about 11 years ago and it's just sitting around waiting for me to buy your car and drop it in. The motor ran absolutely excellent when I yanked it. It'd be a good cruiser. Let me know if you'd sell it as a roller because I just may be interested in it.

Just hold off until gas prices hits 7 to $8.00 a gallon, people will be turning loose great project cars left an right for cheap, when gas got over $4.00 the last time here project cars were popping up everywhere..

Mini tubbed and caged. and its a rust free 340 car.

Attachments

• dus3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCF0091.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 145
Thanks guys.

I guess I'll just do the non-cut stuff first (add power) , and see where that gets me. Then revisit the issue when I get kicked out of the track for going too fast.

:)

I'm not going to do the spring relocate and minitub thing, either way. If it comes to that, I'll get a different car.

Thanks guys.

I guess I'll just do the non-cut stuff first (add power) , and see where that gets me. Then revisit the issue when I get kicked out of the track for going too fast.

:)

I'm not going to do the spring relocate and minitub thing, either way. If it comes to that, I'll get a different car.

Good decision, Steve. From the voice of experience - you'll get a much better return on your car as it appears now than if you cut it to make a dedicated race car out of it.
Years ago I cut up a heavily modified '69 340 Swinger because I wanted a race car. When I sold it out of financial necessity, I got less than 30% of the money I put into it. I would have got much more if it wasn't a dedicated race car.
Buy a beater roller if you want a race car. Cars as nice as yours make great hi-po cruisers and occasional track cars. Keep it nice and on the street.

I would leave this one as is, use it daily or at least for weekend cruising.
get another car thats not as nice and build it.

check this out its called a tiger cage
http://www.jegs.com/p/Ridetech/Ridetech-Tiger-Cage-Stainless-Rollcage-System/1186659/10002/-1
basically its a legal cage you can get anything from just a roll bar to a full cage but the cool thing is that they are completely removable. they bolt in and out. the only thing is that right now they are still trying to get it certified for any sanctioning body.
i guess just read the stuff on the site and see if it fits for you i think im gonna use one in my scamp tough.

btw in would go with using the car you got

It's your car. Do what you want with it. IMO, there is a significant change that has to occur in a car when you start worrying about running faster than that 11.50 mark. Once you decide you want to, you should be confident and motivate to make it a race car. The speed gets more dangerous, and issues can become more common. There's reasons for all the SFI stuff. And trying to stay away from the race stuff means compromises that will ultimately either slow you down, or add to your personal risk. Bolt in cages are like bolt in sub frame connectors. Yes, they work. No, they dont work that well because the whole premise is tying it together and bolts simply don't do a great job of it. If you want to race, build a race car. If you want to drive and enjoy it, get it as fast as you can and enjoy it.

look at what you have invested in it.

If you sold it and started with one not as NICE, how much would you get and how much would you spend?

I think it is a damn nice looking car.

I just sold a 69 Cougar with 52,000 miles. Had I kept it, it would have gotten an OD trans, AC, stereo to make it a better daily driver. What I had invested in it, why not. But had a guy offer enough money so 15 days of ownership, it is gone.

I would not cut up a rare car in today's market, but there are lots of nice Darts that are worth good money. If you sell it and spend 1/2 what you get for a lesser car what will it cost to get it nice.

Cut it, TASTEFULLY, try and make it so it can go back to a stock appearing car in the future if you change your mind.

Save the stock stuff you remove and HAVE FUN.

-
Back