So...... Ever seen this happen?

-
In the 90's I bought a cheapo $225.00 GER convertor and ran it for a couple of years and everybody told me to buy a good convertor. I bought a Coan Race convertor that they recommended for $600.00 and my car slowed down over a tenth in the 1/8. I will never buy a Coan convertor again. I wasted that $600.00, should have kept the other junk convertor in it.

In the 90's ? Convertors have come along way. Also the correct engine, gearing, tire size specs are a must for getting the correct convertor for a particular combo.

.....and GER was at one time the largest producer of door stops in the mopar world. They took me for a pretty good ride back in the early 90's. Consumer fraud division in the state I was living was very helpful about me getting my money back. Young hot rodder, slick two page add, price was "right".....almost too "right". Lesson learned.

In the 90's ? Convertors have come along way. Also the correct engine, gearing, tire size specs are a must for getting the correct convertor for a particular combo.

I got the one they recommended ..It is bad when a junk GER is a better convertor.

It is dead obvious what happened. The weld did not have good penetration in that center bar stock that's GONE, the weld came apart, the ring gear flexed at both broken ends and eventually broke. From the looks of it, it broke on the left side first because it is a very clean break, then the piece of ring gear flung outward hitting the bellhousing and was torn loose from the right side, where it's all jagged as heck. Looks like a cheap POS converter if you ask me. Piss poor welds.

It broke.

^^^^^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^^ POS converter

I'm not sure that I've probably got one converter that was in the "spot on" over the years.... Most have required sending back and having "tweaked" to a point. Matter of fact I need to send the 9" and 8" converters in for our current combo. The Racepak shows it quite nicely. My GER ruined my starter drive when we first tried to fire it up.... it was that bad. The ring gear supports hit. It took me 6mos to get my money back.... but I did.

-
Back