so many greens

-
In your first post, the 1st and last cars are the same color.

Fj6 is a great color.

I've painted two cars with it, both different paint manufacturers and they are both indistinguishable.

For what it's worth, I also used a different brand of basecoat and clearcoat on one of them and they look identical in every light, side by side.

70SuperBee426Hemicompleted_zps1ec01604.jpg

ChristmasTreeScamp_zpsd53aa270.jpg

The color changes on that code so drastically, in different lights, that it will look like a completely different color under neon lights, like that '71 'Cuda in your fist post. The Scamp looks like that, in my garage.

TCP,is great to deal with.Are those metallics,single stage/acrylic enamel ? .Those can be a bear to shoot,for a beginner.Love the metallic,personally.
All Urethane base coats
CAMERO SYNERGY GREEN METALLIC
VIBRANT LIME GREEN
GASSER GREEN METALLIC

I'm going to make a test panel this weekend

In your first post, the 1st and last cars are the same color. Fj6 is a great color. I've painted two cars with it, both different paint manufacturers and they are both indistinguishable. For what it's worth, I also used a different brand of basecoat and clearcoat on one of them and they look identical in every light, side by side. The color changes on that code so drastically, in different lights, that it will look like a completely different color under neon lights, like that '71 'Cuda in your fist post. The Scamp looks like that, in my garage.

Thanks for that information... I'm very picky when it comes to my car... some times to picky. I wondered the different companies

I did too. So when Amy decided she wanted FJ6 on the Scamp after seeing the Superbee, I priced it out and found that DuPont Nason beat everyone else for basecoat price.

For what it's worth, non catalyzed typical basecoat that gets reduced, either 2:1 or 1:1 is essentially just laquer paint toners mixed with a binding agent in it. Single stage paints use the same laquer toners, only a urethane or acrylic agent, similar to what makes up most clearcoats, is added to the final mix of the toner listed and labeled can, ready to be reduced (and catalyzed when applicable) for sprayable mixture. I used to mix and match colors for a living.

Most people will give warning about going with one type of basecoat and another brand of clearcoat, but that is just utter nonsense on a common paint line. Createx is a brand of airbrush colors, that is used heavily in the custom world for instruments, motorcycles and other projects. It is a water born latex based color. If clearcoat can handle that, I know it can handle similar chemical base products. Another thing to remember is that clearcoat paint was developed for the collision repair industry and can be sprayed over cured, factory paint, for doing color blending within a panel, to clear over the entire panel, mixing between new and old color, blended.

I was curious about the color match, between companies, myself and after seeing the PPG basecoat/ clearcoat on the Superbee and the Nason basecoat and Glasurit clearcoat on the Scamp looking identical, other than the Scamp having a touch more gloss/ reflective property in the same light, the colors are exact. Don't waste your money on expensive brands of base. It's mostly the same stuff between each company. They tend to insure paint lines through reps with collision shops for warranty reasons, which really only apply when you are doing work for someone else. I personally don't care, for my own stuff. I know what works for me and what has stood the test of time.

The real thing to pay attention to is the amount of isocyanate/ solids in the clearcoat for UV protection of the color and gloss holdout. You do get what you pay for, when it comes to clearcoat, but they all handle well on cars that live inside. I used Nason on my uncle's Geo Metro. It lives outdoors, I shot ten years ago and it still looks like a new factory car, but not as glossy as the Scamp that was hit with 3 coats of Glasurit and cut/ polished. The only paint I will steer people away from, as I've used basically everything available from lesser known lines, like DeBeers to PPG, Sikkens, DuPont and BASF products, is PPGs Omni line. That clearcoat shrinks down to practically nothing and should never be sanded/ polished unless the car has cured for 3 months or more.

I think you'll like Fj6. It's brighter than most other greens and looks crazy under neon lights, like in garages, carports at car shows or parking lots at night.

Need to add FJ6... but these Colors look different in person

Attachments

• image-3055997717.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 289
  • image-2509952748.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 260
-
Back