SOAKING HORNS IN EVAPO-RUST

-

CFD244

"THE NEW OLDSMOBILES ARE IN EARLY THIS YEAR"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Anyone do it? What was the outcome?

I don't really want to glass bead them and fill them with dust......At least the Evapo-rust evaporates.

Any other suggestions?

What say Ye?

Thanks FABO

I stuffed a rag in mine then blasted prime and paint. Then a year later after install thought they were junk. I forgot to take the rags out!
:popcorn: Watching.

There was a member here who ground off the rivets, took the horn apart, cleaned it out, repaired it and bolted it back together. It didn't look hard to do at all. You might try a search.

I have the horn I took apart.

I'll be happy to take one for the team and soak in evaporust.

I know they say it doesn't harm paint but I have had paint come off during soaking.

The coil wires are coated with a paint of sorts and if it comes off the coil may / will short out.

Also evaporust, if left to evaporate, will leave behind the material it pulled off of the metal.

As others have mentioned, I've blasted a couple dozen... Because I'm different I stuff them with paper towels... :lol:

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll try the bead blast cab and seal them up good.....I only have one pair so no experimenting LOL.

I stuffed foam into mine, sand or glass bead still seems to find it's way in. I just mildly rapped the horn body upside down to dislodge it. Painted them and they work fine.

Do like they do to make silicon molds of the inside of your ear for custom earphones.

Some stiff plastic with 2 small holes that just fits into the end of the horn and in maybe.

Attach a code to it.

Put into the hole then pack it with clay, playdough.

Blast away, then pull the plug out.

I would not immerse the horns in any type of rust remover liquid. Horns have a coil of copper wire [ like the ign coil ] that work with points to produce the sound. The wire has an enamel insulating coating to prevent shorting out between the coils. Rust remover might also remove the protective enamel coating......

-
Back