Socket size for upper ball joint remover

-

Dan201

Banned
Reaction score
I am thinking I need 1 7/8 for my 74 dart is that right? I am looking for one off e-bay but unsure of which one I need looking to get it as cheap as possible as I already blew 30$ on a 1 7/8 wrench which just slips off because of the shape of the upper and I really don't want to take the upper control arm off because then I have to get a re-allignment done on the car. Any info would be appreciated thanks in advance.:cheers:

I am thinking I need 1 7/8 for my 74 dart is that right? I am looking for one off e-bay but unsure of which one I need looking to get it as cheap as possible as I already blew 30$ on a 1 7/8 wrench which just slips off because of the shape of the upper and I really don't want to take the upper control arm off because then I have to get a re-allignment done on the car. Any info would be appreciated thanks in advance.:cheers:
Canadian Tire has loan-a-tool,thanks for getting back to me EH?

It is not a conventional socket, it is a square cut socket made especially for mopar ball joints, if I remember correctly there were 3 sizes. I attached the pics of the ones I own, these are Snap on sockets

IMG_2717.JPG

It is an odd size, something like 1 59/64". I was able to use a "loaner tool" from Advance Auto.
C

Try to borrow the socket if you can.

In a pinch without the socket, I would spray the uppers with PB Blaster or something similar first and then try a pipe wrench.

i took a 1 13 /16ths made in china wrench and ground the inside jaw on a grinder till it fit. still got it. need a pic. pretty simple to do.

Thanks for the help I really want the socket to do it right I have 2 darts so who knows when I might need it again just like my antenna and wiper switch sockets rarely used but nice when you need them I will get to you on the yard pettyblue but I have been insanely busy and its on my other hard drive I will try and get it to you tommorrow if I'm on the computer but I have to box some glass up to ship to california and change a head gasket on my wifes car so my bro in law feels more comfortable while I teach him how to drive. Local loan a tool shops had nothing and the local parts store want 130$ for the socket.

I bought mine from Mancini, had it in a few days. Worth the $40, I have a few mopars now so I'm sure I'll need it again. A regular socket won't work, even if you could find the weird size to begin with. I think the one I have is the 1.915" size, I think clhyer is right on with it being something like 1 59/64"...

I have one that I bought new and used it one time to install my new ball joints and I never used it since. It is 1 and 13/16 inch size. If that is the size you need, you can have it for $25.00 shipping included. I doubt that I'll ever need it again.

-
Back