Soft vs hard shocks

-

74 dart sport

Kameron
Reaction score
What is the difference in feel, ride, and functionality of soft vs stiff shocks? What would be better for a play car( fast cornering, sporty handling, etc)?

An adjustable shock would be the best if you want the most out of your setup. Bilsteins if.you want something low fuss bolt on and go. Cheap go Monroe / kyb, that said I have a set of Monroe magnum rears on this 72 due to them being about 3 inches longer than stock replacements and she is pretty stiff out back. Fronts are cheapy comp engineering 3 way adjustable
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=165944&highlight=Bilsteins

You would be most happy it sounds like with an adjustable shock like stated above. Personally I like the double adjustable so you can adjust both the compression and rebound. I have set of Vikings smooth body aluminum double adjustables on my car and I love them. As you can go from a ride like a Cadillac to the stiff and responsiveness of modern sports car with the turn of a dial. Here is a link to the ones that we offer for your vehicle.

http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10308/.f?sc=12

Thanks
James

You would be most happy it sounds like with an adjustable shock like stated above. Personally I like the double adjustable so you can adjust both the compression and rebound. I have set of Vikings smooth body aluminum double adjustables on my car and I love them. As you can go from a ride like a Cadillac to the stiff and responsiveness of modern sports car with the turn of a dial. Here is a link to the ones that we offer for your vehicle.

http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10308/.f?sc=12

Thanks
James

Thanks James! I do have a couple questions for you though.
1). What does adjusting compression do?
2). What does adjusting rebound do?
3). If I got double adjustable, does the compression / rebound have to higher or lower for "Cadillac" and higher or lower for sports car?

Adjusting the compression is basically is how quickly or how slowly the shock compresses. The same goes for the rebound. You are adjusting the responsiveness of the shock on both compression and rebound by the dials. If you want it to ride like a Caddy you may run from 0 to 6 clicks on the dial. Then by increase the clicks on the shock to say 16 you are stiffening the ride quality to more of a sports car feel and quick responsiveness. If you would like to discuss further please feel free to call me. I would be more than happy to answer any questions.

Thanks
James

My opinion is
If you are a streeter, and just starting out with trick-riding; Just start with some new, oem-type,HD shocks. When they are no longer satisfactory, you will have learned a great deal about when,where, and how, those are deficient, and moving up,you will already know what you didn't like about the ones you are taking off.So by implication, you will have a good idea of how to set up those fancy shocks.
Many years ago, Munroe made some click shocks. I don't recall what they were called. They had a 3-position valve in them;soft medium, and hard. Great stuff for learning, and,at the time(1970s) cheap. They had a downside tho;the shock had to be fully collapsed to make the change.
Don't tell anybody I'm still running those. I like things simple. And out here on the Prairies, there is/are few turns, within two to three hours of where I live.
Then again,still as to streeters; you might spend a wagon-load of loot on those fancy shocks, and spend the rest of your life dinking around with them.

I can't speak to non-street aps.or aps involving beautiful rolling hills and hundreds of exciting twisting curves.

-
Back