Solenoid to EFI on/off signal wire

-

Ben A...

Reaction score
Noob here -- I assume this is a simple answer to most of ya...
I already have a toggle switched solenoid from my battery that runs inline to power on/off my starter power supply cable (linked below)

Can I use that same switched solenoid output to power the on/off signal wire to my Sniper EFI (if I add a fuse to the wire)? Or would I be wiser to add a relay? It seems like a pretty dang clean output already? Is there something about amperage I should be wary of?

FYI, I've read all the posts on other ways to wire the Sniper pink signal wire, but I'm most interested in just running clean power from the battery. I'm wondering if I can just use my currently installed solenoid instead of add in another relay and more wires and take more time...

Thank you for any help!
Ben

Solenoid -- Painless Performance 30204 Painless Performance Remote Master Disconnect Kits | Summit Racing

If I were you I'd get ahold of DionQ on here. I would NOT use that device at all, because it draws TWO AND A HALF amps anytime it's powered. This means you need to plan on killing the battery EVERY time you shut the car off unless for "just a few minutes, do you really want to do that?

I'm pretty sure DionQ found a device that is triggered on and triggered off,............meaning the solenoid DOES NOT draw power all the time rather just a "hit" to turn it on or off............This is what I know as a "latching relay."

So far as your EFI I'm going to say "no" I think because that circuit should be key switched?

From the Painless specs:

"Note: Solenoid draw is 2.5 AMP while engaged. If left engaged (battery connected) with vehicle not running it will drain the battery."

From the Painless specs:

"Note: Solenoid draw is 2.5 AMP while engaged. If left engaged (battery connected) with vehicle not running it will drain the battery."

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate your other posts on IGN1/2 also--very helpful and clear.

When I installed that solenoid I didn't know it drew 2.5amps unless off. Only discovered that after... I regret it.

-
Back