Solid roller and Zinc rich oil?

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
I know flat tappet cams and oil with zinc pretty much go hand in hand, but what about solid roller cams? I hear that you don't really need it from some and that its good to run by others.

The question is in relation to my 360 with a solid roller. I ran brad penn 15w40 in it for about 2k miles so far, but I found some of the same weight castrol oil and always considered it to be good oil (I hope so anyways lol). The brad penn had alot of zinc I believe, and Im not too sure about the castrol. But being a solid roller is that much to worry about? My cam isnt that crazy, and im running about 200 seat and 500 open with MRL pressure oiled solid rollers.

I changed the oil before I parked the car a month or so ago so there isnt really any run time on the castrol. Think its worth it to go back to oil with more zinc?

I'm in the same boat. Solid roller. I do run mechanical fuel pump with that archaeic eccentric, so I feel better running zinc. Can't hurt.

Keep in mind though that even rollers do need SOME zinc. Just "not as much".

I didn't think about the cam eccentric, and yeah I kinda figured that. Well I guess next oil change I'll make sure to use an oil with a bit more zinc in it.

But alternatively since this oil has maybe 15 miles on it, could I keep this oil and add some break in oil that is used for flat tappets? Just like half a bottle or something?

I didn't think about the cam eccentric, and yeah I kinda figured that. Well I guess next oil change I'll make sure to use an oil with a bit more zinc in it.

But alternatively since this oil has maybe 15 miles on it, could I keep this oil and add some break in oil that is used for flat tappets? Just like half a bottle or something?
I sure would not bother. And the pump lever psi on the eccentric is teenie-tiny compared to lifter-to-lobe contact. My consideration for use of rollers is so I can use less expensive synthetic oil with less zinc.

I use regular oil, and a half bottle of Lucas break in additive when I change mine. Maybe not necessary, but pretty cheap insurance.

For the amount of money we have in our engines I would just pay the extra few bucks per quart for a true race oil. The extra zinc won't hurt a roller motor and the other ingredients are also good for a hi perf engine

Man I love posts about ScAmsoil. Extra rust inhibitors, eh? In an oil?

If you have a personal experience to the contrary please share. All oil inhibits rust, as long as the part is covered in oil. AMSOIL ZRod has an extra additive pack that is designed to leave a protective film.

-
Back