Solvent that will clean gummy, old gas?

-
Reaction score
I have a problem moving one of my vehicles on my lot. It is a 80's Chevy van, that was left to me in a will. My Wife's Grandfather passed 4 years ago, and he wanted me to have it. Anyway, it's been sitting for 2.5 - 3 years, and I want to move it to the back of my property. After putting in a good battery, it wants to fire on start fluid, but that's it. And I remember around the time I parked it there, I had a rash of bad gasoline. I really don't want to put the time into it, to take of the carb / rebuild if need be, I just want to move it out of the way, until the "sentimental" wears off and I can get rid of it. Does anyone know, or tried some type of solvent to pour in the carb, to try and break up, dissolve gummed up gas?

(My Powerwagon is not running now, I'm in the middle of changing the timing set. I would just hook up the van and yank it to the back if not)

Thanks for any thoughts / ideas!

Did you try Barrymans available at Autozone. It works great, but really has a strong smell.

Solvent that will clean gummy, old gas?

Have you tried gummy worms.... LOL!

Empty the bowl and fill them through the vent with barryman b12 or seafoam. Let it sit for a half day or so and fire it up. You may need to tap the bowl to release the float, but I've done this many times with vehicles that have sat for 5+ years. Works like a champ.

The Berryman spray is still pretty good, but their carburetor dip sucks *** now. Still smells the same, but I have found Simple Green is much stronger for a carburetor dip. Just be prepared for your old gold Holley to not only be CLEAN but not gold anymore.

80s model does have mechanical fuel pump right ? If so forget running it on the stock tank. Separate the fuel lines under the hood and back flush them. Feed the fuel pump inlet from a gas can. You may have to pour fuel in the carb repeatedly forcing it to run for a time but the fresh fuel with a little seafoam coming from a working pump could force a carb flushing.

I shot some of the Berryman straight in the carb, and I took of the main fuel line forced it into the carb. I turned it over, tried to start it. I repeated the same thing let it sit overnight. Went out there this morning hooked the line back up, and I'll be John Brown! It worked. Had to nurse the throttle for a minute, but it actually held an idle. :D It shot the biggest mouse nest out of the exhaust! I laughed my butt off!!:cheers:

-
Back