Some first generation Valiant questions

-

Rocket-Racing

Reaction score
I'm considering to buy a '60 Valiant here in Norway and have a few questions.
First of all, are there any mechanical parts that are harder to find for these than for the 65's that I'm used to? Thinking about suspension and so on.
Is the rear end the same widt as on the later cars?
Also wondering if anyone knows if a front seat (bench) from a '65 Valiant will fit and bolt right in. The front seat in the '60 has been eaten by mice and as I have a reupholstered '65 bench standing here it would be nice to know if it will fit. This will be kind of a low budget (yeah right..) driver so things like that matters..

Thanks!

Anders, Norway

First of all, are there any mechanical parts that are harder to find for these than for the 65's that I'm used to? Thinking about suspension and so on.
Also wondering if anyone knows if a front seat (bench) from a '65 Valiant will fit and bolt right in. The front seat in the '60 has been eaten by mice and as I have a reupholstered '65 bench standing here it would be nice to know if it will fit. This will be kind of a low budget (yeah right..) driver so things like that matters..

Thanks!

Anders, Norway

Hey Anders!
If your 60 is like the US versions, the whole front suspension is different. Steering box bolted to frame rail and not k frame. Lower control arms, ball joints, tie rods and all are smaller. I don't know if 62 and up, all that changed to "normal", stuff will bolt in, like k frame and the rest. I think rears and brakes are mostly the same. I would think 65 bench would bolt in, because up to 66 they were all narrow bodies. Good luck with your project! Stan

I beleive the wheel base was the same from 60 - 62, and 63 - 66 was the same wheel base. The fire wall changed in 1964 for the V8 option and stayed the same until 66. The seat bolts holes are changed from 61 to 65 but I don't know what year the changes took place. I think the seats will fit just the bolt holes on the floor were moved around.

I'm not sure about the steering and suspension chages, from the 60 62 years to the 63 66 years.
Someone on here will know I'm sure!!

Thanks!

Anders, Norway

Hi there neighbor :)
The front suspension is the same on 60-61. then 62 they will be normal :)
where do you live in Norway? I have a lot of things to 60-61 that I not will use anymore.... the floorpan is the same from 60-66 so your bench will fitt just fine The rear end is the same 60-76 except for the bolt-pattern that was changed 72 I Think..

Most of the advice given to you that I read by other posters is good advice. the '60-'61 floorpans are similiar to but not identical to '62-'66. seat width is the same however, so if the '65 tracks don't line up exactly you can simply bolt the '60's tracks to the '65 seat and it will bolt right in. Most front end parts are unique to '60-'61's also but can be found. There cheaper on Ebay because to few cars chasing lots of leftover stock. But at suspension houses like Rare Parts in Stockton, CA they charge you a premium and a half for the early stuff because it is unique. Great to hear you're saving one of these little jems.

-
Back