Some General questions.

-

Mike P 52

Reaction score
Hi I just joined so I'm a FNG here. I'm in the process of collecting information for a future swap. I'm looking at putting a Gen 1 HEMI (354 CI) in a late 60s-Mid 70s A body (long story). I've been building cars for many years so this swap is not beyond my capabilities. This car will serve as my daily driver and may occasionally be used to drive cross country (4000 mile round trip vacations). Plans call for a 46RH transmission and 8 3/4 rear end. I realize this is the BB forum, but I suspect I might find some answers here so thanks in advance.

My questions are; what are you guys using for torsion bars......the Hemi/46 RH combination will likely he a bit heavier than a 440/727 combo but close enough to work.

Are any of you using a front sway bar and who makes a good one for the weight?

I'm also looking at super stock springs for the rear (I've used the SS springs before and am aware of how stiff they are). Are there other options?

What 8 3/4" rears fit.

I realize this last question is a long-shot, but does anyone have experience putting a 46 RH into an A body (yeah I know they are SB bolt pattern). What transmission tunnel interference issues did you run into?

Does any one know of any threads on the site where someone has put a Gen 1 Hemi in an A body.

Again thanks in advance.

My questions are; what are you guys using for torsion bars......the Hemi/46 RH combination will likely he a bit heavier than a 440/727 combo but close enough to work.
Viewing a thread - 354 weight
looks like it is 50lbs heavier than 440

What 8 3/4" rears fit.
all A-Body 66 to 76 8 3/4 fit 66 to 76 A bodies as bolt in (watch bolt pattern A body typically have 5x4" pattern (except Later models 73 or 74???? and newer????, basically when they went to 8 1/4 rear and it went to 5x4.5")
I realize this last question is a long-shot, but does anyone have experience putting a 46 RH into an A body (yeah I know they are SB bolt pattern). What transmission tunnel interference issues did you run into?
Many have done this trans swap, IIRC the trans support / torsion bar cross member has to be cut and reinforced at the top of the tunnel. Maybe some sheet metal beating too.

Other than the cool and odd factor....

WHY?

And Welcome to FABO

Hi I just joined so I'm a FNG here.
Welcome aboard!!!

I can answer some questions for you… he we go…

I'm in the process of collecting information for a future swap. I'm looking at putting a Gen 1 HEMI (354 CI) in a late 60s-Mid 70s A body (long story). I've been building cars for many years so this swap is not beyond my capabilities. This car will serve as my daily driver and may occasionally be used to drive cross country (4000 mile round trip vacations). Plans call for a 46RH transmission and 8 3/4 rear end. I realize this is the BB forum, but I suspect I might find some answers here so thanks in advance.

You’re in the right town. Though, for me, you’ll be the first Gen1 HEMI swap guy. Maybe there’s another?
I’d go 1 or 2 steps thicker on the OE Big Block sized bar.
A lot depends on how stir you want the ride. 1 step would be really close to a stock feel, 2 steps would be a small improvement. I have owned & drove a ‘71 Duster with the OEM /6 T bars with a 400/727. Aluminum intake, water pump and housing w/headers as the only weight reduction on the engine.
It wasn’t hard to get used to, I had no issues.
Are any of you using a front sway bar and who makes a good one for the weight?
Your never worries about weight on this item, just it’s performance.
I'm also looking at super stock springs for the rear (I've used the SS springs before and am aware of how stiff they are). Are there other options?
Replacement springs from ESPO (springsandthings.com )
Or CalTrac split mono springs
What 8 3/4" rears fit.
Look for the width measurement chart. I might have it saved in the phone. I’ll post it up if I find it.
You may have to move the perches on what ever you swap in.
Check the sticky above normal post threads. There’s a how to thread for this.
Does any one know of any threads on the site where someone has put a Gen 1 Hemi in an A body.
I have seen the final product of such a swap. If it is not found here, check bigblock.com
Again thanks in advance.
:thumbsup:

Thanks for the response!

Admittedly cool and odd factor is a part of it. I've been a Hot Rodder for a long time, my daily driver is an 87 Ram 50 with an off brand V8 swap and 5 speed, the toy that I like to drive the most is a 57 Plymouth 354 Hemi and A833 Overdrive 4 speed.

Old age has been catching up with me (I'm 71 and have starting having back and leg issues), recently it's gotten to the point where where it's almost unsafe for me to drive the Plymouth as I have problems smoothly engaging/disengaging the clutch (it's heavy, but not unreasonably so), and on bad days the Ram 50 which has a much lighter clutch can cause issues.

When I built the 354/46RH combination a little while ago the intention was for it to go into a 55/56 Dodge or Plymouth as a replacement for the 57 Plymouth. I've realized at this point what I need will be a daily driver with an automatic.....especially on my bad days. I'm not willing to throw in the towel and go buy some late model crap box but I want something a little less conspicuous than a 50s car.

The engine and trans is built and on hand and as this is probably my last build I really want to use it. I like the idea of using an A body in part because of the aftermarket support on certain items that will make the build go easier, and I like the cars.

Short version of the long story LOL.

Thanks for the response!

Admittedly cool and odd factor is a part of it. I've been a Hot Rodder for a long time, the toy that I like to drive the most is a 57 Plymouth 354 Hemi and A833 Overdrive 4 speed.
Now that not only sounds cool to drive but over all, that’s gotta be a site rolling down the road.
Old age has been catching up with me (I'm 71 and have starting having back and leg issues), recently it's gotten to the point where where it's almost unsafe for me to drive the Plymouth as I have problems smoothly engaging/disengaging the clutch (it's heavy, but not unreasonably so), and on bad days the Ram 50 which has a much lighter clutch can cause issues.

When I built the 354/46RH combination a little while ago the intention was for it to go into a 55/56 Dodge or Plymouth as a replacement for the 57 Plymouth. I've realized at this point what I need will be a daily driver with an automatic.....especially on my bad days. I'm not willing to throw in the towel and go buy some late model crap box but I want something a little less conspicuous than a 50s car.

The engine and trans is built and on hand and as this is probably my last build I really want to use it. I like the idea of using an A body in part because of the aftermarket support on certain items that will make the build go easier, and I like the cars.

Short version of the long story LOL.
Sounds GREAT to me!

There's a guy on the west side of Washington State with a 392 gen 1 in a 69 dart. He 100% believes it's a factor car lol and will argue till he's blue In the face. (Facts out of a book don't matter to him)

Thanks rumblefish.

When i wrote "for the weight" on my sway bar question I should have said for the weight of the car with the heavy engine. I suspect there are good aftermarket units out there and am hoping someone could give me some idea of what works well with the heavier engines.

Sorry for the confusion

I guess first thing is finding what A body year you end up with then go from there.
I believe HemiDenny has a complete bolt in front suspension kit that mounts the GenIII in a 67-up A body.
I think he is still a member here . Just a thought.
My Bad,DAMN BRAIN FART ! I see you are doing a GEN I...

Last edited:
I guess first thing is finding what A body year you end up with then go from there.
I believe HemiDenny has a complete bolt in front suspension kit that mounts the GenIII in a 67-up A body.
I think he is still a member here . Just a thought.
Gen 1 is what he's doing.

Thanks rumblefish.

When i wrote "for the weight" on my sway bar question I should have said for the weight of the car with the heavy engine. I suspect there are good aftermarket units out there and am hoping someone could give me some idea of what works well with the heavier engines.

Sorry for the confusion
Oh! No worries. Well, above you mentioned the approximate weight, so, the rest of my reply applies. I’d go 1 step thicker in the T bars and the swap bar will have to be looked into for their strengths. Which is a darn good question.

For WIW, I used QA1 non adjustable shocks all around on the wife’s small block ‘68 Cúda. They’re very nice IMO. The adjustable units may be more up your alley though.

OOPS !! I am so used to everyone doing Gen III I totally missed it.
The GEN I Hemi stuff you may find a company called Hot Heads for GEN I help.
Same thought,find the car first and then go from there.

Thanks Darter6. I've dealt with Bob at Hot Heads for years, good guy and company to deal with.

Your thought on finding the car first is right on!

Right now I'm in the information collecting process, looking for any pitfalls that I might encounter. Right now it looks like for the most part I can pretty much limit the fabrication down to a trans mount for the 46RH (unless someone makes a kit for that), motor mounts and building a custom oil pan. The rest should be pretty much bolt on.

-
Back