Some info about 8.25 diffs.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I found something interesting and possibly very useful for those with the OE 8.25 rear end.
A friend gave me an 8.25 open rear as payback for building and installing a 8.75 for his big block Dart.
The rear he gave me is an OE 73-74 year which matches my 73 Dart. (Not that I care about year matching) but that’s cool.
Anyway, with a couple of hours of investigation I found that not only do the Jeep Cherokee disc brakes bolt right up, but with different carrier bearings the entire sure grip carrier from the Cherokee fits the old housing and axles perfectly with zero additional mods.
The pinion bearings are the same part number for both the OE 73-74 and the Cherokee 8.25.
I did have to spend about 20 for longer wheel studs because of adding the brake discs.

So at the local pick a part I got the sure grip carrier with 3:55 gears, pinion and all for 50 bucks.
On disassembly and inspection it looked near new.
The new bearings were also around 50.
Admittedly it’s not a 8.75 but from here on for 50 bucks I can replace the entire unit and or change gearing.
It’s been awhile since I swapped over from the 7.25, but I thought I would mention this as working perfectly with a few newer and available parts.

Great information! I have an 1987 8.25 out of a Dakota that I want to do the same thing with. 65'

Just keep in mind that in 1997 or so the carriers changed when they went from 27 to 29 spline axles. You want to stay with the 27s. Dakotas are a good source, too.

I found something interesting and possibly very useful for those with the OE 8.25 rear end.
A friend gave me an 8.25 open rear as payback for building and installing a 8.75 for his big block Dart.
The rear he gave me is an OE 73-74 year which matches my 73 Dart. (Not that I care about year matching) but that’s cool.
Anyway, with a couple of hours of investigation I found that not only do the Jeep Cherokee disc brakes bolt right up, but with different carrier bearings the entire sure grip carrier from the Cherokee fits the old housing and axles perfectly with zero additional mods.
The pinion bearings are the same part number for both the OE 73-74 and the Cherokee 8.25.
I did have to spend about 20 for longer wheel studs because of adding the brake discs.

So at the local pick a part I got the sure grip carrier with 3:55 gears, pinion and all for 50 bucks.
On disassembly and inspection it looked near new.
The new bearings were also around 50.
Admittedly it’s not a 8.75 but from here on for 50 bucks I can replace the entire unit and or change gearing.
It’s been awhile since I swapped over from the 7.25, but I thought I would mention this as working perfectly with a few newer and available parts.
Thanks good info

What year was the Cherokee that we are discussing using the donor parts from?
I am asking because my Cherokee has drum brakes.

The rear discs were available on Grand Cherokees, Liberties, Dakotas and Durangos. Not on regular Cherokees, although they are a popular swap. The Dak/Durango setup is usable, but need to use the Jeep 5x4.5 lug rotors.

Edit: Sometime around '98-'00? Grand Cherokees went to a larger (5x5?) bolt circle, so the same caveat applies to them as to the 6 lug Daks & Durangos. Use the earlier Jeep GC rotors.
Liberties had some revisions on pads & rotors, but as far as I know all remained 5x4.5 BC.

Last edited:

They came from a 2006 Grand Cherokee, but the disc brakes are the same on most if not all years after.
I also run a 1995 24RH overdrive trans out of a Dakota.

I installed disc brakes from a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee onto my 72 8.25 rear. Aside from some minor grinding on the center register it was a simple bolt on.

To clarify.....

Disk brake axles and 8.25 sure grip carriers that work on our classics are not found on the same vehicle.

You would need a 96 or older axle for the carrier and a 2001 or newer axle for the disk brakes.
(might not be 100% on 2001 being the change to rear disk- going by Dakotas)

To clarify.....

Disk brake axles and 8.25 sure grip carriers that work on our classics are not found on the same vehicle.

You would need a 96 or older axle for the carrier and a 2001 or newer axle for the disk brakes.
(might not be 100% on 2001 being the change to rear disk- going by Dakotas)
I pulled my last set of rear discs off of a '96 Grand Cherokee, but I see part listings back to '94... Keep in mind these were optional and not standard equipment. I *think* Liberties (and their twin cousin, the Dodge Nitro) had them as standard equipment.
And a little more info as I go through my notes-
Grand Cherokees had 11 1/4 dia. rotors
Liberties had 12 3/8 dia.
Dakota/Durango used rotors a hair over 12 1/4... but had six lugs. I've used the 5 lug Liberty rotors with no ill effects.

Last edited:
-
Back