Some new ideas for my Slant

-

zfriedbauer

Reaction score
So I have some new ideas for my slant after getting some guidance from a couple of members on here. I took my rebuild kit back and used the money to replace some stolen stuff and im BROKE. but I just wanted to share my plan and see if its possible.

First of all, I wanna build a Long rod 225 with 198 rods and the 2.2 turbo pistons. (or whatever pistons fit). im not looking for lots of power but I want some improvement in throttle response, and sound, and a stroker sounds pretty cool. Im buying off of this site, a 2 barrel intake (pending), and I did some horse trading for a brand new holley 2 barrel and a 2 barrel air cleaner assembly. So what I need to know, will this still run on pump gas, what can I do to improve my exhaust system without spending big bucks, and where on this beautiful green earth can I find some 198 rods for cheap? they had reman ones on rockauto but they only have 3 and I need 6...

Help, as always, is appreciated!

You won't be building a stroker. There's no stroker crank for the 225.

Whoops. its not a "stroker" its called the long rod slant 6. something doug dutra came up with I guess. its got higher compression. my bad there!

There are two ways to do it. If you want to push the boundries of pump gas, use the 2.2 non turbo pistons. If you want to be sure to run on pump gas, use the turbo pistons. You can easily 9:1 with the turbo pistons. That's what I would recommend.

There are two ways to do it. If you want to push the boundries of pump gas, use the 2.2 non turbo pistons. If you want to be sure to run on pump gas, use the turbo pistons. You can easily 9:1 with the turbo pistons. That's what I would recommend.

So the turbo pistons would work better! awesome. now do you have any ideas for the exhaust? I prefer stock appearing but I can budge on the exhaust. ive got a super turbo muffler, this same one cut down on drone in another one of my cars but gave me awesome sound. I think its a 2.5 inch pipe. I hear dutra has duals as well as some cars from the factory...

I would just get the Hookers from Summit.

For the money invested in a long rod bottom end, you could buy a few other power adders(cam, headers, etc.), and make some decent power gains. The setup you described above won't have any more power or be any faster than a stock bottom end 225 with the same intake and carb, and a head milled 0.1".

The long rod bottom end won't gain you anything noticeable with the above setup, except a lighter wallet.

For the money invested in a long rod bottom end, you could buy a few other power adders(cam, headers, etc.), and make some decent power gains. The setup you described above won't have any more power or be any faster than a stock bottom end 225 with the same intake and carb, and a head milled 0.1".

The long rod bottom end won't gain you anything noticeable with the above setup, except a lighter wallet.

What he says...

It gains more compression using the long rod.

A great set up is stock rebuild with new pistons, there is a decent comp cam out there for our 6's and spend some money on the heads. Mild port. Use SSteel 340 valves and springs and shave a few thousandths off the top of the head. You should be able to get close to 9:1 which is decent for a fun driver.

The six chokes on it's stock exhaust so it's got to have headers and new intake.
You can use either a big 2 or small 4 barrel carb. 4 is more common I believe and I am having decent luck with a holley 390. I am currently using Aussie Speed intake and headers and they are a match made in heaven. Tons of clearance in the bay.

Don't expect miracles (Fire breathing, tire smoking launches) from your /6 but you can have a snappy car with great torque and decent gas mileage.

If you want power to spin tires just ditch the 6 and get started on a small block 360 budget build.

The best thing for a young gun to do is try to keep it simple at first and gain knowledge as you go. If you try to do to many fancy crazy things up front you'll go broke and lose interest fast.

Good luck!

My $00.02

Mop

Attachments

• 100_5189.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 327
  • 100_5225.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 303
I guess the main thing I'm after is that throttle response. This cars going to all the tourism places around where I live. I like a bit better mileage: so best intake for that is a 2 barrel so I read. I also have a duster hitch and a little trailer for camping. I like the long rod because its more efficient at highway speeds. Anyways. I am looking for a bit hotter of a cam, and the hooker headers look good online. I'm thinking I might be able to mug weld myself some... But that's a project for summer. Thanks for the input so far guys! I'll reiterate: mileage, efficientcy, and better exhaust. Your suggestions ill keep in mind. Does anyone know what price would go on a hotter cam? Reground or new or used? Thanks guys!

You read wrong. Adding the 2 barrel will make mileage go down. Don't get me wrong, I love a slant. I had myself set to build a long rod motor myself. Had a super nice ported head and all. But I realized that no matter what I did to it, it was still short two cylinders. You will always wish you had done a V8. My advice is after reading more of what you want is to build a nice warmed over 318. Much more power and with the right parts can get just as good and even better mileage than a slant six. Will also be cheaper to build.

X2.

I built my wife's 6 ONLY because she insisted that I "keep her low production vert stock" Well I kept the block stock so she couldn't complain.

V8 is the way to go if your thinking about wanting power. The six will be snappy...like a turbo 4 but never fast or neck snapping like a lil V8 would be.

By the time you build the 6 and set it up with machine work, high dollar headers, intake and such you could have a V8 with double the HP.

Ask me how I know.

Lighter rotating assembly and more detonation resistance (This is others, including Dutra himself's testimony) To say it don't gain anything is somewhat incorrect, to put it a little better would be 'The debatable minimal gain wouldn't be worth the cost'

And everything I've heard about Comp's slant cams in the past 4 years or so hasn't been good, better off with a properly sized regrind (Oregon Cams is a popular one, great people to boot)

Oh, and read/ask ?s in the forum part of slantsix.org, that's all they know and a many of them have built/race multiple slants. Some of 'em got it down to a science :burnout:

Just don't build a turbo slant, it could fall off the stand and crush your kitten. Ask Brandon how he knows.

I'll have all your stuff in the mail tomorrow hopefully zfried. Blew a head gasket or something on my turbo slant so I'm at home rebuilding all my parts...

Watch me complain about everything I do - here:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=284845&page=22

Just don't build a turbo slant, it could fall off the stand and crush your kitten. Ask Brandon how he knows.

I'll have all your stuff in the mail tomorrow hopefully zfried. Blew a head gasket or something on my turbo slant so I'm at home rebuilding all my parts...

Watch me complain about everything I do - here:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=284845&page=22

IF you build a slant, by all means, turbocharge it; just keep the cat out of the garage...

A slant six without a turbocharger is like a rhinoceros without a horn/tusk...:violent1:

If power is what you're after, might as well build a V8 and get it over with. But, as you've already stated, you're not looking for lots of power, just improved power and throttle response. You can easily get the improved power you're looking for with a n/a slant, although it seems like the folks over at slantsix.org are the only people that can tell you how any more.

And since you're looking for throttle response, I don't consider 'gutless below 3k rpm' decent throttle response.

zfriedbauer,All above answers are good ones. The only drawback I see(please don't take this wrong) is your opening statement, "I'm Broke".. Anything you want to do to a Slant costs money.You can do alot with a stock internal 225 with some bolt on's such as intake,carb and exhaust,IT won't be a fire breather but it will run better.I did my 67 Dart about 16 years ago at a cost of $800 using new parts. You may be able to find used, a intake,adapter for the 2 bbl carb,and maybe a GOOD used header and make yourself a 2 1/2'' single exhaust for $500 to $800 today.
Now I love the slant,but make yourself a plan like you are doing,take your time ,research a bit more,estimate the cost factor and try to score some parts.
Have fun, that's what it's all about.

-
Back