Some very bad news to report from Quaker City in Ohio.

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score

51831366-7247-4ABF-8263-C51139193F7A.jpeg

Never heard of him but obviously a rocket car driver. Those are very entertaining.....and dangerous obviously. May he rest in peace.

Never like to see these things, but there are risks taken. I hope that he knew the Lord and pray that God will comfort his loved ones in this time of his passing.

Oh NO!!!! That sucks, bless His soul, & all of His Family, Friends, & Team mates, RIP.

My neighbor I grew up with Ernie Bogue races one- “Beast of the East.” He knows him. Raced him before. So sad. God rest his soul!

Someone posted on FB that there was no EMTs or fire services at the track for this event. I can't fathom that would actually be true.

I don't mean to be a dick, but..... that's a jet car. Rockets have been illegal for decades.
RIP, Al.
Well ok. Whichever. A bomb on wheels then. LOL We got to see Roger Gustin in his JET car in Reynolds, Georgia years ago. I don't remember how fast and quick, but he only blasted it for less than half track. lol

I don't mean to be a dick, but..... that's a jet car. Rockets have been illegal for decades.
RIP, Al.

Good article about rocket cars.

Video of fatal rocket car crash. I was there on the spectator (left) side about 100 yards from starting line watching this run. Strange thing for me as I usually just focus on the car making a pass. For some reason, I looked directly at the driver as he came by me. My memory may not be totally accurate but I remember the rear of the car swerving right and then come back left until it was pointed to the right and it shot right across the track into a gaurd rail. I also think he went 324mph on that pass. On the video, it doesn't look very fast. From the stands, it looked like there was nothing left of the car. I mean no pieces were even visible and the guard rail barely looked dented. And the paramedics layed many sheets over the grass in a pretty wide area. I always only guessed why they did that.

One really sad thing to think about was the family and/or crew had nothing but their empty hauler when they left.

Most hydrogen peroxide rockets simply flow highly concentrated H2O2 (~90%) over a catalyst like platinum, which decomposes it into hot water (steam). That is used in the Bell Rocketpacks. In this accident, the rocket propulsion was incidental. The dragster failed because chute deployment caused it to veer into a guardrail post at too much angle. The wheels were also suspects.

RIP, Al.
Still silly rapid, and with any racing event, when things go wrong they go wrong way too fast. Cages and safety equipement can only do so much, unfortunately. Definately a tragic outcome.

The ultimate track record at Irwindale dragstrip (the new one) is held by a jet car. I can't remember exactly, but it was somewhere in the mid 3s at a ridiculously unsafe speed, considering the shutoff available. 200+mph in the eighth.
Edit: 3.87, 207. Thirteen years ago.

Last edited:
My brother and I were there. It happened at 287 mph and looked bad. When they had not said anything regarding the driver in the 20 minutes after, I was expecting the worst, and unfortunately that was the case. Really a sad day at the track.

-
Back