Somebody here needs this....

-
Wow, very cool! Check out that door bar placement though! Can't imagine that passing a chassis inspection today.

Wow, very cool! Check out that door bar placement though! Can't imagine that passing a chassis inspection today.

Not only that, can you imagine trying to look for a car in the left lane.

There are plenty of nostalgia races around the country where it could compete. Gearjammers comes to mind.

Why in Gods name would you ever **** up a '70 duster by putting a '73 tail panel and a '75 front end on it:mad::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was there in 1980 by winning the Division 2 finals in Gainesville in Pro ET with my first Challenger. I was one of 3 or 4 Division 2 winners all representing Orlando Speed World in Florida - SP, Pro, Heavy and I think MC. (But I redlit first round, forgot against who.) That was the first year NHRA had a race to determine bracket world champions in Super Pro, Pro, Heavy, Street & Motorcycle. Don't remember if MC had one or 2 classes. So that was the only year there because Ontario Motor Speedway closed after that and NHRA didn't have a world championship event for bracket cars for a while afterwards.

This is the best I have at the moment - @ Orlando. :(
http://www.locomotionracing.com/photos/cht8.jpg

Gee, 36 years ago!

Why in Gods name would you ever **** up a '70 duster by putting a '73 tail panel and a '75 front end on it:mad::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't know when they changed the model year, but back in the '70's, it was common practice with Mopars, particularly in Pro Stock, to keep up with the current model year. The 1970 and 1971 Motown Missile Challenger is the same car. The Mopar Missile Duster started out as a '72 and it was also updated to newer years. The '72 Cuda was only run as a '72 before being sold to Mike Fons.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any specific examples of model year changes to any Stock or SS cars, but I know it was done, usually for weight-to-HP advantages with different engines as well. Still done today.

Don't know when they changed the model year, but back in the '70's, it was common practice with Mopars, particularly in Pro Stock, to keep up with the current model year. The 1970 and 1971 Motown Missile Challenger is the same car. The Mopar Missile Duster started out as a '72 and it was also updated to newer years. The '72 Cuda was only run as a '72 before being sold to Mike Fons.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any specific examples of model year changes to any Stock or SS cars, but I know it was done, usually for weight-to-HP advantages with different engines as well. Still done today.
So the Mopar missile I saw run at the Nats was originally a 72?? Wish they would've left it a 72... Still cool to see it run!

Here is one, a SS car that was changed to 70 model for pro stock back in the day

hemi dart.jpg

Same car as a 70 model

"Since Larry was a Chrysler-supported driver, Maxwell told him that the direction for 1970 was the new Pro-Stock class. To create new car appearances, Maxwell had all the necessary parts sent to Larry, who along with bodyman Al Voss, cut the rear off the body and turned it into a ’70 model. With a Weiand intake manifold and Holley 4500 carburetors on special spacers, early ’70 match races found the Dart running 140 mph with e.t.’s of 9.80s to 9.90s. Larry took the Dart to the ’70 Super Stock Magazine Nationals at York U.S. 30, where he beat Ronnie Sox in Pro-Stock class eliminations."

1970 DART.jpg

Local stocker racer changed a 71 Demon to 70-71 Duster....he can change classes by changing intake manifold and carb...70 runs AVS ....71 run TQ...

-
Back