Someone here mentioned "Snow" the other day...

-

Frankie

Member #9641
Reaction score
Tell me about it.

1496666_716715611695173_2096152938_n.jpg

Never seen anything like that before, pics or otherwise. The tops of those pines look like Christmas tree's...lol.

How long before some kids make a ramp and a great viral video?

If someone breaks down, they're screwed. No shoulder....

Not to mention a heck of a blind spots around corners...

Looks like home to me. LOL

Jack
I had 26" on my roof a couple of years back, but I ain`t never seen anything like that! and I been to one legged man *** kicking contest in roosterpoot ark. too----:wack:

I had 26" on my roof a couple of years back, but I ain`t never seen anything like that! and I been to one legged man *** kicking contest in roosterpoot ark. too----:wack:

Three years ago I was able to walk off of my roof onto the snow and not go down at all. It gets deep here in more ways than one. LOL This year we started real bad, but it's only about 2 1/2 feet deep in the yard now.

Jack

I saw it similar to that - but only about half as deep - in the Mammoth area of California one year. The top of the snow alongside the road was about 5' above the roof of the '77 Ford F250 I owned at the time.
Another year we were on vacation and stopped at Crater Lake in Oregon (about 6200' elevation). There was an overlook to the lake that you had to walk through a 12'-diameter pipe to get to. I asked a Park Ranger about it and he said it was so tourists could get to the overlook through the snow in the winter. We also noticed some of the cabins in the area had two sets of entry doors - one set at ground level and another set on the second floor. And, no, the second floor doors were not just to go out onto a deck.
Having lived in SoCal all my life it was something I just couldn't relate to.

Our family has had quite a sordid history of snow and plows. This is the old "Doodle but" was built by Dad and Gramps, here being used to mow hay. I don't have a photo of it with the snow blade. This was a Model A engine and chassis, with a second truck 4 speed for more gearing, and either a Diamond Reo or IHC rear end. After we bought Gramps place when I was 6, Dad only got a couple more seasons out of this. It threw a rod, and ran for a bit before giving up. This photo could very well have been taken before I was born.

Attachments

• img034cs.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 204
This started out as some sort of road grader. All we got the first time I saw it after the junk guys dragged it to our place was the cast iron belly pan, containing the engine, gearbox, rear axle, and two rear tires.

No seat, steering, radiator, front axle, nothing. Dad built the rest, front axle out of a 36? Ford, ditto radiator, home made hood, and I don't know what the cluster was. The lift was a home built "winch" on each side geared to an old steering gear. The old steering gears used to have no stops and would rotate continuously

Top photo is one I found on the internet seems similar, an old Galion grader

I was only 7? or so when Dad built this thing, so about '56 or so. He used to say "it took the whole back 40 to turn it around." No steering brakes, and the pass. car front axle did not turn very sharp. These are the old early Ford wheels, reversed on the drums. These were originally flexible cable brakes, not hydraulic.

Oliver35HPgalionGrader2.jpg

Now take a good look at the blade below on "old blue." This was built by my Dad so this was the first of FOUR tractors this blade would live on over the years!!!

Attachments

• img002cs.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 445
This is the second tractor the above blade would live on, our old Farmall "Regular" I don't have any photos with the blade installed. The triangular structure with the large tube below the belly was added by Dad and attached the rear of the plow arms

Attachments

• img004cs.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 360
  • img005cs.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 368
  • 010_8s.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 4,764
This is me, about 2000, recovering from injuries at Mom's on her last tractor, an Oliver White. I don't have photos of the blade on the Allis Dad had between the Farmall and this Oliver. So this is the same old blade that Dad built in the '50's when I was very young

Attachments

• img025cs.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 386
"The Fleet" before I thinned some of it out, LOL

Attachments

• fleet7745.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 206
Of course there's the Cletrac project was, and the little Farmall

2nicniu.jpg

w6ru40.jpg

24xm4k7.jpg

20adv8j.jpg

Old film of how they did it in the "good ole' days" [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbKqXfELDvs&feature=youtube_gdata"]Plowing the Tug Hill 1939a - YouTube[/ame]

My dad had a mini-dozer back when we were kids. It ran with briggs and straton engine, he ordered it in the mail and put it together himself.

Dad used to plow the snow in the driveway and on the sidewalks with it. Then when he was done would pull me and my brother on our sleds behind it. It looked like a miniature bulldozer.

Then loaned it out to someone to build a pool in their back yard and they said that "it was stolen" out of their yard a month ago... Why didn't you tell us then?

-
Back