Someone needs to start re-casting 340 blocks

-

stroked340

Reaction score
Just saw a '72 340 block w/main caps for $1195.00 are you shitting me..someone needs to start re-casting 340 blocks at a reasonable price they'd make a killing!!!

Just saw a '72 340 block w/main caps for $1195.00 are you shitting me..someone needs to start re-casting 340 blocks at a reasonable price they'd make a killing!!!
I'd love to see that too, stroked 340 but the tooling costs alone would be astronomical!

There are not as many people as you would think interested in 340's anymore since the Gen 3 Hemi's became so popular in A-Body transplants. This conversion is getting cheaper and easier to do every year.

I was going to do a new AMC block before Covid killed off my business partner. At that time we were investing $150,000 just to get started Plus we had to sell 100 blocks just to break even on the first go around. There is more than you can ever imagine with engineering, patterns, machining fixtures, machining. If it was easy and cheap you might see some cool products, but it's not easy or cheap to do it.

That's why all these low volume, custom blocks are selling for $6500 new

Tom

SBF aftermarket blocks are like 3K so if we extrapolate the data and let pricing history guide us, the aftermarket would grace us with 4500 repop 340 blocks.

bonus if they made them in under 4" bore so us 318 guys could reuse our pistons.

anyway, what's a R3 or ritter block run? like 3~4K? i know that's not apples to apples because of all the additional machine work and supporting cast specific to those, but that kind of, sort of tested the market.

Like Dad used to say, "you're talking like you have a paper head" :poke: :rofl:

****, i'd sell my std bore 340 block, crank, rods and pistons for a grand.. :)

I don't see the point in just a re cast of a 340 block, there's already a bunch of 360 blocks out there close enough. IF your gonna do it should come with bigger bore and handle more power.

I sold 2 340 blocks w/main caps in excellent condition 5 years ago for $400.00 a piece..this '72 I mentioned is not any better and they want $1195.00..once AGAIN someone thinking what they got is gold..

I don't see the point in just a re cast of a 340 block, there's already a bunch of 360 blocks out there close enough. IF your gonna do it should come with bigger bore and handle more power.

I could grind that 360 off the block and turn it into a 340 with Splashzone so fast it would curl your hair.

Aftermarket 340 blocks would cost around $4000 and they would probably still have the stupid lifters pointed sideways rather than at the rocker arm. The SB needs a redesign if it is going to worth tooling and I really doubt anyone is willing to invest that much money into the SB Mopar market these days

It's all about volume. You can not compete with the volume of SBC and SBF users there are. Spend $300,000 to do a new 340 block and see how long it will take to

break even, if you ever do.

What would have worked 20-years ago doesn't work today.

Tom

Last edited:
Aftermarket 340 blocks would cost around $4000 and they would probably still have the stupid lifters pointed sideways rather than at the rocker arm. The SB needs a redesign if it is going to worth tooling and I really doubt anyone is willing to invest that much money into the SB Mopar market these days
Wasn't that changed for the better in the Nascar blocks?

It all about volume. You can not compete with the volume of SBC and SBF users there are. Spend $300,000 to do a new 340 block and see how long it will take to

break even, if you ever do.

What would have worked 20-years ago doesn't work today.

Tom

you're right you know..jpg

LOL, nothing magical about the 340 number in my book. It is all in the heads, and I'll take my cylinders as thick as I can get.

There are pros and cons to a 340 block.

PRO:
For me I like the smaller mains over the 360 because there are a lot more crankshaft options for the 340 main.

CON:
King XP 340 main bearings are now only available in a coated version, which cost double the non coated.

Tom

LOL, nothing magical about the 340 number in my book. It is all in the heads, and I'll take my cylinders as thick as I can get.
True but a lot here judge by displacement alone. As long it's not followed by a B or RB :)

-
Back