Someone put the wrong distributor in this 273...but it works!

-

Wally-T

64 Signet
Reaction score
Hi guys. I've purchased three rotors from a couple of sources for my 1964 - 273 engine but they are wrong. So I thought I would pull the numbers from the distributor and it looks like it might be a 318 distributor.
It's a Prestolite distrib with the numbers:
2444763 and below that is IBP 4003 AA 4W
I've found a rotor that looks correct for an IBP distrib but I don't want to order any more rotors until I find out exactly what they've dropped in here.
I'm sure somebody here has some old Mopar microfiche pics floating around in their grey matter, ha ha
:lol:Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks, Wally

They made 2 distributors, prestolite and someone else (maybe mopar?) But the prestolites were the maker of the dual point 273-4. Prestolite are cast iron. Autolite or mopar are aluminum.

I've seen a 383 distributor in a 318.....and it actually ran fairly well. Yes, they are a little too long and they turn the opposite direction, but the sumbitch ran.

Hi guys. I've purchased three rotors from a couple of sources for my 1964 - 273 engine but they are wrong. So I thought I would pull the numbers from the distributor and it looks like it might be a 318 distributor.
I've found a rotor that looks correct for an IBP distrib but I don't want to order any more rotors until I find out exactly what they've dropped in here.
I'm sure somebody here has some old Mopar microfiche pics floating around in their grey matter, ha ha
Thanks, Wally
That distributor doesn't show in my book. Galen doesn't mess with a lot of that early 50's stuff. It could have come from a Poly 318. Even a 50's Hemi. Most parts stores have replacement distributors that have easy to get oem parts.

Last edited:
I believe that particular distributor is an Autolite brand distributor made for Mopar. If you Google 2444763, there are rotors pictured on some of the entries.

My dad bought a starter for his 351 in his MasterCraft ski boat. I couldn't get it to fire up.....something weird was going on. He had bought a starter that turned the engine over backwards, that took a few minutes to figure out. Rod

That distributor doesn't show in my book. It could have come from a Poly 318. Even a 50's Hemi. Most parts stores have replacement distributors that have easy to get oem parts.
It's definitely a Prestolite. Here's a pic

20200629_174335[1].jpg

Thanks, Wally
I just looked in my Filko Ignition book and they listed a single point Prestolite in 1959 All with "IBP" distributor. It was a Chrysler listing. There are a few Dodge listings as well.

THIS IS WHY auto parts are so currently AFU. "Back in the day" we PREFERRED dist. tag numbers. You just looked the number up in the ignition book, Wells, AC/ Delco, Standard, whatever, and there were the parts numbers for the replacement parts. Just Like That. Used to take me all of 30 seconds to find a dist number "in the book."

2D7AA178-AC8D-4A18-AA26-B36DCA0BBD35.jpeg
Here’s what I’ve got in some old books I’ve got. Don’t know if it’ll help. Added Plymouth and Chrysler.

0C4B3C94-EE85-4996-8EFB-4013A6B030FA.jpeg

F694F56C-7052-4CA0-B8E3-06E9F41DA0C9.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 1715553861 Here’s what I’ve got in some old books I’ve got. Don’t know if it’ll help.
Looks like an old Filko book. I found quite a few IBP series with the 4003 number. The AA narrows it down. Too late and the catalog is too far away to mess with it tonight. It's not the right one for the car/engine regardless of what it came out of. It should have a standard aluminum housing single point. Chrysler built.

s-l400 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch folks. I ordered parts for an IBP from an early 318. I sure hope they're the right parts this time. This sure is a learning experience. I forgot what it was like to own an old beast, the joy, the tears, the bloody knuckles, the tears, the temper tantrums more tears etc, etc. Sure is fun when it's running though, and since it's my daily driver , I Really need it to be running lol. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks, Wally

I've seen a 383 distributor in a 318.....and it actually ran fairly well. Yes, they are a little too long and they turn the opposite direction, but the sumbitch ran.
me thinks the advance weights had trouble extending and the mechanical advance was next to none or really finicky.

Even if it somehow fits why would you want to? Not designed to spin in that direction even if the points do provide spark. Yes the advance is exactly opposite and wouldn't work. for the price of a correct reman, No use in chasing components for a 60 year old piece just because it fits in the hole. (unless you are restoring)

No way that would have worked. The short B-engine shaft won't even reach the drive gear. Most likely an RB distributor. Must have run like crap though with the advance acting as a retard.

If it's a single point, it's probably off a big truck or something industrial.

No way that would have worked. The short B-engine shaft won't even reach the drive gear. Most likely an RB distributor. Must have run like crap though with the advance acting as a retard.

It may have been. We know it was a big block distributor, because the vacuum can was on the opposite side, indicating a CCW direction.

-
Back