Someone school me on converter/pump relationship please!

-
I have a 9.5" 4000 stall its fine on the street. its a Dynamic converter.
I bought it from A&A best part was he said if it was to loose or tight I could call up and exchange it ( as long as I did it right away ). that was a Long time ago. not sure if they still do that. they would be the first place I called if needed a converter.

See it's funny how some people say a 4000 stall sucks on the street and others say it's fine. It's kind of like the subject of running a spool on the street. You'll get mixed opinions on that too.

See it's funny how some people say a 4000 stall sucks on the street and others say it's fine. It's kind of like the subject of running a spool on the street. You'll get mixed opinions on that too.

its a drag car, you have to turn slow with skinnies anyways! love my spool

A 4K stall CAN be fine on the street, if it is a modern converter made for the street. It has to be built so that it achieves enough lockup to keep heat down and not ruin mileage all to hell, plus flash on demand when you stab it. Old, obsolete converters cannot do that. That's why you need to spend good money with a reputable company for a converter, not some POS B&M Holeshot.

A 4K stall CAN be fine on the street, if it is a modern converter made for the street. It has to be built so that it achieves enough lockup to keep heat down and not ruin mileage all to hell, plus flash on demand when you stab it. Old, obsolete converters cannot do that. That's why you need to spend good money with a reputable company for a converter, not some POS B&M Holeshot.

This is what Dynamic told me when I had them make mine. They said the 9" would be better becasue it would be more efficient to get the same stall as a comparable 10". That wa sa 3900 stall and was pretty bals on as I sent them my dyno sheet.

Hell I think mine stalls at almost 5000 now behind the 493 and the trans rarely gets over 180 most of the time cruising its barely moving the needle on the temp gauge.
only time I ever really notice the crazy stall is if I start it up and need to back the car up before it warms up a little. then the engine might r up a little before the car moves.
I think rusty & rocco hit it on the head. buy a Good converter spend a little more now and you will be happier.

buy a Good converter spend a little more now and you will be happier.

That's going to be the plan now. Sell the Hughes I have and figure out who I'll go with on the new converter.

That's going to be the plan now. Sell the Hughes I have and figure out who I'll go with on the new converter.

thats the best idea yet. sell that hughes garbage. i had a hughes 3500 stall in my car because it was a hand me down freebie from my dad. it was garbage. put a dynamic 9" 4500 stall in it and i dropped 200 rpm at 60 and 10* trans temp at cruise rpm. and god damn does it flash!:burnout:

put a dynamic 9" 4500 stall in it and i dropped 200 rpm at 60

That just blows my mind. You'd think it would be the other way around!

Looks like Dynamic and Continental are two I'm going to really start looking at.

That just blows my mind. You'd think it would be the other way around!

Looks like Dynamic and Continental are two I'm going to really start looking at.

call dynamic and talk to them about it! its all about efficiency. tech. has changed. the old sloppy converters are a thing of the past. i got my dynamic for $600 and was best money i ever spent on the car. It pulls so much harder.

call dynamic and talk to them about it! its all about efficiency. tech. has changed. the old sloppy converters are a thing of the past. i got my dynamic for $600 and was best money i ever spent on the car. It pulls so much harder.

Will do. So out of curiosity, what rpm do you run at 60? Tire height, gear ratio?

I have 28" tall tires, 4:10 rear gear and turn 3050rpm at 60

From what I remember before (and my memory really sucks), with 26" tires and the 3000 stall, I was running somewhere around 2500 RPM at 60. Now remind you, my speedo was probably off and inaccurate. I think it was reading fast. I believe I have a 3.73 gear, but not sure on that yet. The new tires I have now are 28" tall. I didn't pay attention to the RPM at 60 before I pulled the motor out. I'm debating the gear change although I've been recommended a taller gear. I just don't want this car to be all spin happy on the streets. I want it to hook up a LITTLE BIT at least! LOL. Although I'd like it to be close to redline by the time I hit the traps at the track. So I gotta make compromises somewhere.

only time I ever really notice the crazy stall is if I start it up and need to back the car up before it warms up a little. then the engine might r up a little before the car moves.

ine does this as well and I never understood why. Only reverse and only on initial startup when cold.

-
Back