somethings wrong with me . luck of the draw?

-

poppys67toy

slow learner
Reaction score
hi all .ever wonder why decisions are so hard for you and easy for others? in pursuit of an 8-3/4 sure grip i checked out a local add for a 1965 imperial called the guy and talked for a while decidec to go look at it . expecting to see a wreck I see an original crown coupe with a 413,v-8,727,sure grip with a 742 center. it is very straight . it had a vinyl top so top rusty [possible small holes needs new interior it is a very hi option car with a/c and cruise control,power windows ANTENNA rear speaker power mirrors,the bumpers are toast floors need help but suprisingly solid and straight .price seems good but will this rear diff fit my barracuda and should I strip this complete car ?will the 413 fit my a body will the 727 fit my a body ? should I do it ?can I sell these parts I dont need ? or should I adopt this project and keep it original ?need some guidance opinions and tech info thanks ,larry:read2:

The rear will fit if you relocate the spring perches, but it will be wider than the factory A-body rear so consider that when it comes time to get wheels. The 413 should fit in with minimal hassle with all the conversion kits that are available nowadays. Do some looking around here for the big block swap. Plenty of guys have done it. That being said, it's not every day you see a '65 Imperial. If it was mine, I would try to keep it original and make it a driver.

The rear will fit but it will be a bunch wider than a A-body rear. Not sure you'll even find wheels with enough offset to make it work. You can have it narrowed though but it'll cost a few sheckles. What year A-body do you have? If it's an early A that 413 will be a bear to get in. In fact you may even have to cut the inner fenders to make it fit. If it's a 67-up A-body it won't be too bad to get in. Just need a Schumaker engine mount kit and either A-body exhaust manifolds or headers. I think if I was going through all the work to shoe horn a raised deck engine in I'd want a 440 but that's my opinion.

The 1965 727 is a cable shift if I remember right. If so it's not a good choice for your car. Any 66-up 727 would be much better.

Personally I'd pass on trying to use it as a parts car but it's just my opinion. I think it'd be better left for restoration cause you don't see many 65 Imperials like Wish4hemi said. They were cool cars.

I understand your feelings, I almost bought a black '65 Crown Coupe, but I am glad I didn't. Yes they're beautiful and stately but they are very expensive to restore. Sounds like it isn't the best match as a parts car for what you need either. After a few days your Mopar-acquiring fever will subside and you will be content with your beautiful '67 Barracuda. :love7:

The rear will fit if you relocate the spring perches, but it will be wider than the factory A-body rear so consider that when it comes time to get wheels. The 413 should fit in with minimal hassle with all the conversion kits that are available nowadays. Do some looking around here for the big block swap. Plenty of guys have done it. That being said, it's not every day you see a '65 Imperial. If it was mine, I would try to keep it original and make it a driver.
thanks to all of you I guess I am just looking too hard I think I can get this car for 800-1000 dollars he says it runs and all parts are there I think it is very close to the model they made tha green hornets car from .the black beauty that crossed my mind too . I guess it would be better to restore it or make a custom out of it, than srtrip it after your comments I checked only 3900 or so were made . thanks again for the info the decision is still up in the air .larry:read2:

I understand your feelings, I almost bought a black '65 Crown Coupe, but I am glad I didn't. Yes they're beautiful and stately but they are very expensive to restore. Sounds like it isn't the best match as a parts car for what you need either. After a few days your Mopar-acquiring fever will subside and you will be content with your beautiful '67 Barracuda. :love7:
thanks very muck for the help I am still thinking about as a restore . larry

The rear will fit but it will be a bunch wider than a A-body rear. Not sure you'll even find wheels with enough offset to make it work. You can have it narrowed though but it'll cost a few sheckles. What year A-body do you have? If it's an early A that 413 will be a bear to get in. In fact you may even have to cut the inner fenders to make it fit. If it's a 67-up A-body it won't be too bad to get in. Just need a Schumaker engine mount kit and either A-body exhaust manifolds or headers. I think if I was going through all the work to shoe horn a raised deck engine in I'd want a 440 but that's my opinion.

The 1965 727 is a cable shift if I remember right. If so it's not a good choice for your car. Any 66-up 727 would be much better.

Personally I'd pass on trying to use it as a parts car but it's just my opinion. I think it'd be better left for restoration cause you don't see many 65 Imperials like Wish4hemi said. They were cool cars.
I totally appreciate you guys I wonder why I didnt find this site sooner, you are the greatest group I am still considering the car but more for resto than parts I may be able to get for less than a thousand dollars is this a good deal ? it is complete . larry

it wouldn't happen to have cross rams on it? and if by chance it did would you like to sell them? (and carbs and linkage)

If you can get the car for under 1K, I'd buy it. First of all, you can remove just the center section of the rearend and replace it with an open cased unit. This will yield you a 742 case, probably a suregrip unit, and it should be the Powerlok, although I would be willing to bet you will get a 2:94 gear. Next if you plan to part it out, the trans will be a bigblock pushbutton trans from 65, which will have the slipjoint tailshaft for a U-joint style driveshaft, a VERY nice trans to have around or sell. The 413 would yield a couple hundred, so right there you got youtr money back and probably a suregrip center for your car. Then list the body for a couple hundred and you'll make some $$$ for your effort and help somebody along on their Imperial project, and all is good in Moparland!!! JMO, Geof

it wouldn't happen to have cross rams on it? and if by chance it did would you like to sell them? (and carbs and linkage)
hi and no it doesnt I would have bought it already I passed on a 63 polara tha i coulda got for $50 and learned about those the hard way.

If you can get the car for under 1K, I'd buy it. First of all, you can remove just the center section of the rearend and replace it with an open cased unit. This will yield you a 742 case, probably a suregrip unit, and it should be the Powerlok, although I would be willing to bet you will get a 2:94 gear. Next if you plan to part it out, the trans will be a bigblock pushbutton trans from 65, which will have the slipjoint tailshaft for a U-joint style driveshaft, a VERY nice trans to have around or sell. The 413 would yield a couple hundred, so right there you got youtr money back and probably a suregrip center for your car. Then list the body for a couple hundred and you'll make some $$$ for your effort and help somebody along on their Imperial project, and all is good in Moparland!!! JMO, Geof
this is what I was thinking about even though th thought of parting it is a strugglit will suit my initial purpose thanks . larry

thanks for that I almost did it but I backed out . I need to concentrate on my project if anyone wants to check the car out I will give you the guys phone # it is in martinez california thanks larry

-
Back