Sometimes it's the things you overlook...

-

frederick_76

Reaction score
So, I thought I may have wiped out a lobe on my camshaft. Number 5 and 6 header tubes were not getting heat in them ( small block L.A.) Pulled the drivers side valve cover off and turned the motor over with a remote trigger. Rockers for number 5 were moving just fine... So I started to rack my brain on why they are cold. Turns out.... when I had to pull the 4 speed out for a noise issue I had, I took of the distributor cap and rotor ( Mallory Unalight ) upon reassembly of the cap and rotor I didn't have the rotor fully seated causing number 5 and 6 not getting spark! I was relieved that I didn't wipe out the cam but mad at myself that I overlooked such a simple thing.

Last edited:
EDIT to correct a mistake!
There are 17 lobes on every B/RB camshaft. 8 intake, 8 exhaust and one for the fuel pump. The LA series has 16. The fuel pump is driven from the bolt on eccentric, not a lobe cast in with the others. Still, No cam lobe is shared anywhere.

Last edited:
There are 17 lobes on every LA and B/RB camshaft. 8 intake, 8 exhaust and one for the fuel pump. No cam lobe is shared anywhere.
Not familiar w/ that engine , but that one had me very curious ! Never seen a "shared" cam lobe.

Must have been running pretty bad missing 2 holes...

Cold tubes would have been a secondary indication.
My neighbor drove in with another car awhile back while I was out doing something on my car and I told him I didn't know a 86 Pontiac Grand Prix ever came with a V6.:D
2 plug wires were reversed and it smoothed right out.

Point is, I could hear 2 cylinders missing from across the street.

sometimes a good tune up does more for performance then tossing a new intake and 4 barrel on it

There are 17 lobes on every LA and B/RB camshaft. 8 intake, 8 exhaust and one for the fuel pump. No cam lobe is shared anywhere.

Are you sure about that?

I think you are WRONG!!! Not like that's unusual. :)

Hmmmm. unusual that I am wrong?
Nobody I know of is paid for giving advice here. Whether it is right or wrong, it is always free.

Hmmmm. unusual that I am wrong?
Nobody I know of is paid for giving advice here. Whether it is right or wrong, it is always free.

Free advice that is BAD/WRONG/INCORRECT is not worth the pricetag.... :)

I'll let you try and figure out why you are wrong unless someone wants to help you. God knows you need time to pontificate about driving a honey dipper or professing that Illegals lit wildfires and such. :)

Where is the fuel pump lobe? That's an eccentric you bolt to the cam. Ill go with 16 lobes ....and a bolt on eccentric.

Oh ****...I forgot that one! I have not installed a small block cam in a few years!
Pontificate?
At least I am not boring. I don't wait for others to liven things up. Some people are such dullards, they only READ things here and comment on them. Others are self starters, movers & shakers. I am no great man but the Men that are don't sit in the shadows. They are out in front getting stuff done.

So you are critical of me, not the OP that thought somehow that cam lobes were "shared" with other cylinders...
What helpful advice did you offer the OP ?
Look at your ratio of posts versus "Likes"....Seems as if you post a lot but help very little.

You're pathetic if you think my helpfulness here revolves around "likes".

I've helped more in these forums with automotive information than you EVER will if I stopped posting today.

Just admit that you were wrong. Takes a REAL man to do that. Not some avoid the real issue by distracting admission with sparklers or shiny stuff... like most people that can't face the music do.

-
Back