sometimes you get tossed a bone

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Ok heres the story, the company I work for has Ground support vehicles "tugs" for moving equipment, or parking aircraft. These are basically car drivelines in heavy steel plate chassis, with crazy geared rear ends in them for pulling torque. In high gear wide open they probably do only 25 MPH. Everything we have uses Ford 300 carbureted inline sixes with adaptors and powerglides behind them.

We get an old "tug" a few years ago thats really used up needing a fair bit of work. Our GSE shop fixes this thing up, and I stop by, and notice its got a Chrysler industrial slant 6 in it. pretty cool im thinking.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago. This tug breaks a front spindle, being this is a specialized piece of equipment thats about 30 years old a replacement spindle cant be found. The company who built it probably isnt in business anymore.

The GSE shop is told to strip this tug of all useable items, seats, lights, fire extinguisher, gages, hobbs meter, etc, etc. because it was going to be sent to the scrap yard. they left the industrial slanty in it, and drove it up onto the flatbed. what a shame, I'm sure somebody here would have loved to have it.

Well anyways they took out the radiator, and it happens to be a Chrysler factory radiator about the right width just eyeballing it for my 67 Cuda. Its got the inlet and outlet on the correct sides. The GSE shop foreman says the radiator wont fit the other tugs, and if I wanted it I could have it.

So I take it home, and bam all 4 mount holes line up, its the right height, and width. Sometimes you just get lucky and you get tossed a bone.

Heres pix of the engine in the tug just before its loaded onto the flatbed for a trip to the scrap yard,
Matt

Attachments

• tug.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 257
  • tug 1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 271
You got really lucky on that one.
You also had your eyes open for possibilities, and that's how things get done.

Part number is 4266436 2 row copper/brass soldered radiator. not sure what year or model car this is out of, anybody know?? I'm sure it will work with a stock 318. eventually I will build a stroker and need something bigger

Check out pix of it temporary mounted into my radiator support. The filler neck sits 1.5" above the top of the support. not sure if thats too high or not.

Matt

Attachments

• rad.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 232
  • rad 1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 217
I would have liked to have gotten the crank. I think those industrial slants had shot peened cranks. Good save on what you did get though!

Google shows that part number crosses over to a 1985 New Yorker

Well its a direct bolt in on my 67 cuda rad support, plus an 85 new yorker fifth ave would be a V8. The filler neck sits 1.5" above the top of the rad support. Not sure if this is too high. Anybody have an answer for this one??

My 74 dart 318 im gonna use has a passenger side lower outlet on the water pump, so the lower hose i will get will be 74 dart. The upper inlet on the radiator is also passenger side, so i will get an upper hose for a.fifth ave.

So the slant is gone?

Hey Mike,

Yep they sent it to pine street salvage a few weeks ago. I think it had an adaptor on it with a powerglide 2 speed, but i could be wrong, and it may be an A-904. The engine was electronic ignition. I think it was a 2 barrel super six. Even has a complete hydroboost setup in it. The body/chassis of this thing was 1" thick plate steel, so im sure it didnt go into the shredder. It would need to be cut up with a torch. It may be sitting on a pile of scrap. It was painted white with a flame paint job on the hood. I know pine street sells stuff out of there by the pound. Mebbe you can get the six out of it. Its complete minus the radiator.

Matt

-
Back