Somewhat durable new SUVs?

-

crj1968

Reaction score
Been looking for an SUV that can take a slight beating and also be a livable daily driver.

Not really looking at spending $40 for a Wrangler or even more for a Bronco.

We have a 2014 Explorer which does pretty well but it's a little too large for some roads I use for fishing etc. I also have a 2000 Cherokee XJ, which is plenty capable, nimble, but it sucks as a daily.

Anyone have real world off/ on road experience with new (say 2014 and up) small SUV's (cherokee, Forester, ummmm...others? ) Be nice also if it could get @25 mpg. Thx for any input!

Maybe I should have posted when people were home from work... :elmer:

Might be a little bigger than you were thinking, but we have a 2017 Grand Cherokee. We've done some two tracks with it, and it handled them just fine. Haven't had it on the sand Dunes yet to try sand mode but most likely will next summer. It cruises at 75-80 real nicely and pretty quiet as it has active noise cancellation. On our longer highway trips we get 23-24mpg, but the normal daily driving it gets about 19. I'm taller at 6'2" and fit in it good. It's not as roomy as my Ram, but I've never had any complaints of being too small on longer trips, and the seats are much better than the ones in my Ram. Has a good sounding radio in it too.

Yeah I have considered the Grand Cherokee and have owned them in the past. both the 4.0 liter early one... and later one with the 4.7 (that was a good motor) Yours a v6? or Hemi.

We've had great service from our 04 Escape. It's been the best car we've ever owned bar none. Although it doesn't get 25mpg, it's gotten a best of 23.5 or so. Not bad for a little 4wd.

We've had great service from our 04 Escape. It's been the best car we've ever owned bar none. Although it doesn't get 25mpg, it's gotten a best of 23.5 or so. Not bad for a little 4wd.

I had considered the previous generation escapes... - might be two generations back now. The boxy one...can be had with the standard 4.0 v6. Problem is finding one without 200K on the clock. I'm not a big fan of the newer escapes, beyond on-road AWD type stuff. I feel the new one is in there with the CRV and Tucson type "SUV's"

I had considered the previous generation escapes... - might be two generations back now. The boxy one...can be had with the standard 4.0 v6. Problem is finding one without 200K on the clock. I'm not a big fan of the newer escapes, beyond on-road AWD type stuff. I feel the new one is in there with the CRV and Tucson type "SUV's"
I've never seen one with the 4.0. I've seen the 3.0 which ours is. I cannot STAND the AWD stuff, either. That's why we got a 4wd. They made both for a time.

yes my bad : 3.0 v6 - duratec or whatever they called it. yeah the AWD/ CVT thing...I just dont like it. But it's getting really hard to avoid. I mean I'd buy a Tacoma if it wasn't $45K for a used one. Its crazy...

yes my bad : 3.0 v6 - duratec or whatever they called it. yeah the AWD/ CVT thing...I just dont like it. But it's getting really hard to avoid. I mean I'd buy a Tacoma if it wasn't $45K for a used one. Its crazy...
Ours is not that. It's a conventional 4 speed OD transmission with a switchable transfer case. I was not no way in hell gonna get an AWD. lol

Yeah I have considered the Grand Cherokee and have owned them in the past. both the 4.0 liter early one... and later one with the 4.7 (that was a good motor) Yours a v6? or Hemi.

We have the V6, 3.6l. It powerful enough for a daily, feels about as quick as my Hemi Ram up to about 50.

As bad as it pains me to admit but some of the Subarus get great mileage are comfy and can be pretty darn nimble. I have a buddy that uses one for all his camping trips in the deer woods and he swears by it. I think they hold their value pretty well too?

As bad as it pains me to admit but some of the Subarus get great mileage are comfy and can be pretty darn nimble. I have a buddy that uses one for all his camping trips in the deer woods and he swears by it. I think they hold their value pretty well too?

Yeah I know the pain you are speaking of. The Forester is tempting...it pretty much checks all the boxes except that it's a Forester. I think a RAV4 is pretty capable also but then again. the more I look a good used Grand Cherokee may be the ticket. Most are driven by soccer moms and are in good shape still

-
Back