Sos valve seal help fast

-
These valve springs are double springs, on a street driven car that see 6200 once in a great while. I doubt it is valve float. Heads arent off we will change seals and springs with air through the spark plug hole.

My machinest wants to put something in there I forgot what he called it to keep the springs from moving around. After measuring inside spring diamater, than the valve seal with there shouldnt be a problem if the springs are jumping around. I wonder why it wasnt done like this the first time? Also untll this web site makes it easier for a old man like me to post pictures it aint gonna happen.

Spring cups.
You can send the pics to me, and I'll post em.

These valve springs are double springs, on a street driven car that see 6200 once in a great while. I doubt it is valve float. Heads arent off we will change seals and springs with air through the spark plug hole.

I'm with Rob on this. You have a spring problem.
First - with aluminum heads the springs should be in cups already. IIRC that's how Edelbrock ships them.
Second - the seal even at .530" OD are quite a ways away from any physical impact assuming the springs are not losing control of the valve. If it goes into float all bets are off.

Have the machinist check the spring pressures. Single, single with dampener, dual with dampener doesn't mean anything. Whipped is whipped and once they get into that loss of control, they get hammered and the problems get worse a lot faster.

There were no cups on these heads but I bought them used. They now have cups, springs were checked ok, reinstalled with new seals. Will hav to drive it some this weekend but it seams better, still wont no till the pipe is dried out.

Sure sounds like the problem here was that the springs were moving around on the seat, and apparently enough to chew up the seals. Hard to understand why the cups were not there, even if the heads were used. Maybe they were forgotten when the new springs were installed. Guess the seats were OK?

I never knew about spring cups myself, glad to have learned about them here. From what I read, they were designed for aluminum heads to protect the spring seat from being galled by the leading edge of the spring coil and to locate the spring concentric with the guide.

Looks like there's two types available, one style has an outer locating cup and the other style are flat on the outside edge with a step around the guide. Not sure why you'd use over the other.

One concern I thought of is, what diameter valve springs are installed now, OD? If the're too much smaller then the pocket, they can "dance" around on you enough to possibly cause interference on the inside.

If that's a possibility, a seat cup/locater may be available to keep the spring centered?

I really hope this fixes your problem "tekslk" :icon_smi:. I have to admit to the rest of you, that I knew these were used heads. The reason I went there was that I've seen ill fitting springs cause issues before. Picking springs for stock heads is pretty much cut & dried, but the fact that these are Eddy's, gave me the thought that it could be a issue.

Years back, I saw a few SBC's that were "hot rod" engines cut for 1.40"+ dual springs. At some point, they had a smaller hyd. cam installed with 1.25" single springs. After inspection, while there wasn't oil issues, it was clear that they were moving around quite a bit in the pocket.

Again, I hope you're good now, Rick

I had a card of Eeelbrock Pontiac head spring cups. They look like they would hold the spring centered and protect the AL head from the hard spring wire, yup!

do you have metal spring seats or do the springs ride on the shims or aluminum parts? They are supposed to ride on the metal spring seats. Sounds like your heads are getting pounded where the springs sit on the head. I heard eddys are known for this mistake.

I never knew about spring cups myself, glad to have learned about them here. From what I read, they were designed for aluminum heads to protect the spring seat from being galled by the leading edge of the spring coil and to locate the spring concentric with the guide.

Looks like there's two types available, one style has an outer locating cup and the other style are flat on the outside edge with a step around the guide. Not sure why you'd use over the other.
Well if you think that is interesting, there have been a few engines with 'spring rotators'. Opel 1.5L/1.9L in the 70's had spring rotators, which were kinda like spring cups but were a 2 piece item with smooth surfaces between so that the exhaust valve springs did not snag on the head surface and fail to rotate. (Which would have caused premature guuide wear...)

I didn't get to see them my friend installed them and said this will fix. The.problems.

Looks like two mistakes here the first guy to own these and my machine shop that checked them out for me before instalation. They new to give me the spring cups for round two. There in now I will not drive till next week but this should work.

Got to drive car tonight no more smoke. I read on spring cups, this weekend, seams like all aluminum heads should be using them. Now Im pissed off because I paid machine shop to chek heads before installation. Well dont look back, one way forward. Thanks everyone.

Glad to hear it's all fixed up now. After the video recently posted by another member, it'll be something I think we'll all look for if aluminum heads are in the sight picture for an engine build...I know I'll look more closely.

-
Back