SOS With 340 Bars

-

armyofchuckness

The Flying Valiant
Reaction score
So we're working on this right now and I'm realizing why I should never trust mechanics.

Car: 1964 Valiant 225 Slant

Asked mechanic to help me put in 340 torsion bars, 892R and 893L.

They give it back to me with only the passenger one installed. Said they couldn't get the driver's side (left hand drive) out.

Took it to someone who knows what he's doing and, after getting the driver's side out, we make a discovery: They put the 893L in the right hand (passenger's) side!

This was done about four months ago and the car has been driven less than 500 miles since. I also noticed that they may have put it in backwards. The 892R has UHL stamped on what we believe to be the front of the bar, and the 893L appeared to have U-something stamped on the rear part where they installed it. We can't tell because they hammered the #$@# out of it.

Does anyone know if the 893L is still usable? I have some 318 bars I could use (stamped 135 with the CPDD logo and L or R), but I'd really like to use the 340s and hate to think I wasted my money. Any assistance you can give us would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Forward, backwards orientation makes no difference.

The bar being installed on the wrong side is not good. It's more prone to fracture since the rotational forces have been reversed.

I recently discovered that mine had been installed on the wrong sides. I replaced them for peace of mind

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I really appreciate it. After careful inspection, I think we're going to give the 340 bars a try. The damage only seems to be a bit of flattening on the back end of the bar. I got some good advice as well from a friend that has a similar setup and he thinks we'll be okay. I may keep the 318s as emergency backups.

-
Back