Soul warming winter food......

-
Ernie just made the first round of albondigas of the winter. We have been using ground Brisket for chop meat...sure was tasty....

For the coonasses in south Louisiana it's chicken / andouille gumbo. Nothing better!

I splay and smoke a chicken and then clean the meat off the carcass and break it down into very small pieces to richen up the broth. Add shrimp and andouille sausage. File powder near the end. Bout time to whip up a batch methinks.

Actually, a straight cold winter one,for breakfast... My favorite: Quaker Brown Maple oatmeal packs my favorite, oatmeal in general in cold weather...

and they claim oatmeal is actually good for yA! yea I love the stuff too!

I love my version if a Mexican egg burrito. brown a flour tortilla in some butter, scramble couple of homegrown brown eggs in jalapeno cheese, picante sauce, plenty salt and pepper, add a little sour crème to the tortilla. wrap it up all nice and snug, and cram it down your throat!!??? a little homemade jelly on the side. wow!

Chicken and Dumplings. Homemade, fluffy buttermilk dumplings you make from scratch. Really warms you up and doesn't cost much to make.

We made some home made beef vegetable soup tonight. I grill the beef on the grill with hickory smoke chips. Kitty makes the stock. It's damn good.

I also make a mean 5 bean chili in the fall and winter.

:hello2: Howdy from Texas, y'all!

We just had some burritos made with carne asada, rice, black beans and the usual fixings. Chased it with a big glass of horchata. Yum!!!

anim_32.gif

Harry

Today's ( actually ,last night's..)linner: Simple hot chicken soup,added a can of chicken broth,add some black pepper. Very simple,very warming...

Beef Stew...first time making it, soaked the roast in wine overnight, and followed tips I picked up here and there. Mom put her energy into being a schoolteacher so I'm still learning "home cooking." It turned out great...weather hasn't cooled off much yet.

It made a HUGE amount...was a reminder there's always a church member or friend in need to share with.

Even though not a warm dish, it has a kick to it and will be a hit at any Christmas or Super Bowl party so it's soul-warming that way. This recipe is from the Okra Grill near Charleston...I had to scale it down so the measurements may seem odd.

1 lb Sharp Cheddar and 1/2 lb Pepper Jack, grate it yourself from the block, toss together gently in a large bowl. Add a scant 1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapenos and 4 oz diced pimentos and their juice (2 small jars) and toss those in gently.

In another bowl, mix together a rounded 1-1/2 cups Dukes mayonnaise, 5 oz softened cream cheese, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt, 1-1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, and 1-1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.

Fold the mayo mixture into the grated cheese mixture. Use your fingers and a light touch so you don't overmix it, you want it keep the texture of the grated cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge overnight so the flavors can settle in.

Serve with assorted bread or celery. Makes a great grilled cheese too.

Actually, a straight cold winter one,for breakfast... My favorite: Quaker Brown Maple oatmeal packs my favorite, oatmeal in general in cold weather...

Oatmeal=liquid cardboard.......Ernie loves the stuff. Thanks to being allergic to Eggs she has Oatmeal for breakfast quite often....

Had some snow yesterday....and snowed briefly today....making it perfect for Albondigas. Sadly we only had 1 can of Pato sauce so the flavor was not as full as it normally is. We also made a fresh batch of Tortillas....

Haven't ran one of the smokers in a couple of days....starting to go thru withdrawals. Last thing I smoked was a Tri Tip roast. May slice the leftovers up tomorrow.....fire up the Blackstone Griddle and make some Cheese steak sammies....

Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Sure! You really only need a recipe for the dumplings...the soup you just make a chicken soup, in a big pot sauteeing a chopped onion, and roughly that amount of celery and carrots in some butter, with a little salt, pepper, thyme...splash of white wine optional. Add 1-1/2 quarts chicken stock, either home made or store bought, bring to simmer. Meanwhile, you need cooked chicken. Easiest to use leftovers or bake a half chicken or whatever pieces you like, let it cool, and cube the meat. Add the chicken and any drippings to the pot and let simmer 45 min or so.

Dumplings: whisk or sift 1-1/4 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt. Add 3 Tbsp minced parsley and 2 tsp ground pepper. Cut in 3 Tbsp very cold butter, then stir in 1/2 cup or more buttermilk. Turn onto floured surface, knead just enough so you can work with it, roll or pat to 1/2" thickness. Turn up the burner to medium. With sharp knife, cut dough into 1/2" wide strips. Cut your strips into 2" lengths, drop one at a time into the soup. Stir once gently to separate dumplings. Cover tightly, pick up the pot and swirl it around some to move the dumplings around. Let cook 20 min without uncovering. Now it's ready! Squeeze half a lemon and stir in a cup of milk and add more salt/pepper to taste.

Thanks for asking, Doug, now I'm going to make some tomorrow.

Chili and fresh baked bread, ice cream with honey drizzled on the top for dessert to take some of the heat off

its hard to beat good chicken and dumplings!!!

the crock pot did cook up a HUGE amt of chili other d ay..... gotta have little jiffy cornbread, sour cream,, and cheese mixed in that bowl!!!!!!!

holy long running thread. Nothing makes me happier (food wise anyway) than a big ol' pile of chili cheese nachos - I like to use those key lime flavored chips - with jalapenos and sides of sour cream and spicy guacamole - warms ya through and through. Cold weather breakfast - omelet with a side of corned beef hash - coffee. Lunch - creamy tomato soup and a grilled ham & cheese. ..no wonder I keep gaining weight.. :D PS - hey inkjunkie, maybe consider changing your handle to foodjunkie.. LOL

I think we are all food junkies!!! it makes up HAPPY!!!!! ha

I eat out in the city maybe once every 10 years! ha, took daughter out to Chili's on her visit down yesterday. after we had ordered she started razing how wonderful their fried pickles are!!! can't imagine!!!!!!!!

Made something new tonight...Prior to picking up this smoking/BBQ addiction we hardly ever ate pork. Never ate pork chops as an adult. When my folks made them they were dried out, very grainy. Picked up a pork loin a while back.....made some very moist, flavorful pork chops. Picked up another loin on Friday. The ends became chops... got 2 roasts out of the center. One went into a pretty basic brine....salt, brown sugar, garlic-onion powder, ground smoked black pepper and some red pepper flakes. Into the Reverse Flow at 250*ish....after covering it with my rub....cooked it over cherry and maple smoke. Wanted rotor pull it at 145* but goofed....pulled at 150*. Made some damn good sandwiches. Platter it was sitting in while the wife was getting the salad ready was covered in juice. Tomorrow will be slicing up some of this and the leftover Tri Tip roast, dice up some onion and jalapeños and heat it up on our Blackstone griddle...

Sure! You really only need a recipe for the dumplings...the soup you just make a chicken soup, in a big pot sauteeing a chopped onion, and roughly that amount of celery and carrots in some butter, with a little salt, pepper, thyme...splash of white wine optional. Add 1-1/2 quarts chicken stock, either home made or store bought, bring to simmer. Meanwhile, you need cooked chicken. Easiest to use leftovers or bake a half chicken or whatever pieces you like, let it cool, and cube the meat. Add the chicken and any drippings to the pot and let simmer 45 min or so.

Dumplings: whisk or sift 1-1/4 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt. Add 3 Tbsp minced parsley and 2 tsp ground pepper. Cut in 3 Tbsp very cold butter, then stir in 1/2 cup or more buttermilk. Turn onto floured surface, knead just enough so you can work with it, roll or pat to 1/2" thickness. Turn up the burner to medium. With sharp knife, cut dough into 1/2" wide strips. Cut your strips into 2" lengths, drop one at a time into the soup. Stir once gently to separate dumplings. Cover tightly, pick up the pot and swirl it around some to move the dumplings around. Let cook 20 min without uncovering. Now it's ready! Squeeze half a lemon and stir in a cup of milk and add more salt/pepper to taste.

Thanks for asking, Doug, now I'm going to make some tomorrow.

Thanks David....will be printing this out next time I use my laptop..

Damp windy day....no better time for albondigas. I bought a 4 pack of Tri Tip Roasts to cut into steaks. We always save the odd pieces...grind them up into chop meat. We ground the pieces up last night...so the meat was very fresh. 2 cans of Pato sauce, a bit spicey...

winter!? ha,, Missouri yesterday record high, at 88 but thur nite will be cold 35 ! gonna be spending the winter in s w Tx. when does the boiled coonass shrimp season start anyway!!!?????? ha

-
Back