Sound deadener install

-

Mineallmine

Reaction score
Looking for some opinions/possible tips for installing sound deadener in my 63 dart. I have some kilmat sound deadener I plan to install but am unsure how far to go with it. I have new firewall insulation to install, but should I still put kilmat underneath it, or just up to it?

Also do you normally cut around it for high beam switch and seat mounts as well as gas pedal mount, or do you mount them on top of the kilmat, putting the bolts through it?

I have also read people use it for the roof. Does it stay stuck good? My roof was sanded and cleaned really good and primed/sealed and painted. Just concerned it might come unglued on a really hot day with the sun beating down on the roof.

Thanks in advance

I put mine right up to the top of the fire wall. I also did the bottom 1' of the doors and back to where the front spring hangers are. I mounted it under the hi/low switch and under the gas pedal also under the seats brackets.
The stuff I used would not come off after it was stuck on the floor for a day. I used hush matt but I'm sure a lot of them use the same sticky backing.

I got a rubber mat kit from year one like 18 years ago fom my B body. Spray on 3M glue . It was an excellent sound barrier but like 70 lbs if I recall.

Thanks. One more question. Did you use 50mil or 80mil? I have a partial box of black hushmat that I'm thinking on using on the roof due to the black color so it doesn't show through the headliner.

On a side note I have a new trim parts carpet with the jute backing going over this as well.

I used the thick kilmat, covered the entire floor, mounted the high beam switch on top. Its around 2-3 layers thick over the transmission tunnel. I didn't mount on the roof, but only because I didn't feel like taking out my headliner, otherwise I would have. I didn't put mine up along my firewall, which I regret, the factory style insulation isn't great for sound.
I also have kilmat installed in all of the doors, which makes them feel a bit more solid when closing and keeps some of the sound out, as well as coating the entire package tray.

Thanks. One more question. Did you use 50mil or 80mil? I have a partial box of black hushmat that I'm thinking on using on the roof due to the black color so it doesn't show through the headliner. On a side note I have a new trim parts carpet with the jute backing going over this as well.

The Hushmat I used was the 50mil or 1.5mm. I also purchased the carpet with the jute backing.

I used Kilmat instead of the firewall insulation. Fiberglass insulation is a bunch of bullshit.

So, my final decision was a combination of all the above comments, lol. I decided to order the 50mil kilmat. I have it up under the firewall insulation about 1/2 way up. I have the entire cabin floor covered, doubled in some areas. I will be going all the way back to the brace behind the rear seat, and, if I have enough left over, may even put some in the doors and quarters.

I too have the carpet with the heavy jute backing waiting to go in after final paint.

I have some hushmat 60mil (I think) that I got off marketplace that I will be using on the inner roof. It is the back foil style so it won's show through the holes in the headliner.

Thanks for all the responses.

Floor all done. Thanks for all the tips. Only 2 sheets left over. May put ones in each door or quarter.

20220311_190237_HDR.jpg

20220311_190240_HDR.jpg

20220311_190243_HDR.jpg

While your at it continue the hush mat over the rear hump and on the trunk floor . Also the rear wheel tubs completely along with the package tray . If you have the headliner out do the sail panels also . Wouldn’t hurt to do behind the rear trim panels .
If you don’t have a under hood pad get one it really knocks down the noise .
You would be surprised at how much sound is transmitted from the wheel tubs and trunk .

One other area to do is the back side of the front fender splash panels , they transmit the sound of water splashed on them in the rain going through puddles .

I’ve had years of driving my ‘66 GT since December 23rd 1965 .

Back in the ‘70’s I picked up a ‘64 GT and a ‘64 270 wagon . 1964 was Dodge’s 50th anniversary and they put extra effort into making all the lines quieter . That said both the ‘64’s I had were quieter then my ‘66 .

Keep at it your’s is coming along nicely .

Last edited:
-
Back