sound deadener under rear seat bottom and back

-

Dave NEO

Reaction score
wondering if should I install something while I have seats out for new covers - did factory have something on the bare metal floor pan back there? With convertible any noise reduction would be good...

Nothing from the factory under there. Anything you add will help knock down the noise and heat.
I think they sell a jute padding for the trunk divider panel, although I cant recall if any came with it.

wondering if should I install something while I have seats out for new covers - did factory have something on the bare metal floor pan back there? With convertible any noise reduction would be good...

I used the jute type carpet padding and it worked out well behind as well as under the rear seat.

I considered it but passed after I gave the panel a thump. It’s solid and doesn’t reverberate like the floor panels do. I figure i’ll cover everywhere else. Just my two cents.

it appears to have adhesive - how hard to remove later if necessary?
eastwood has their own cheaper version - anyone try it?

I used the fat man rattle trap off eBay and did my whole car with it, while trunk is covered too.

20150207_113746.jpg

20150207_113752.jpg

The butyl rubber products like Dynamat, Fatmat etc are good for dampening panel resonation(the panel resonates when your tap on it). It is marginal for heat rejection and ok for sound dampening. I use the Dynamat Extreme on my Mopars.

The real trick to quiet down the interior is to use a foil covered mat such as the stuff in the attached picture to cover the entire interior, including behind the door panels. Be sure to use the foil tape designed for duct work to seal the seams and edges.

It is available from Aircraft Spruce as "The Insulator" or from most on-line speed shops.

Insul4.JPG

Insul6.JPG

-
Back