Sound deadning reviews

-

jlindemann

Reaction score
I am getting ready to POR 15 my floor in my '64 Barracuda. I am going to run a 2.5" exhaust, with 2 Dynomax Turbo mufflers, dumped before the rear axle. I want to lay down some sound deadening material and I have read a lot of the articles on this site about the different ways of doing it. I am looking for some long term results from the people who have put some in. Any thoughts/suggestions/issues that you have experienced is greatly appreciated, cause I only want to do this once! :profiler:

My suggestion.... Save your money for tail pipes. Tail pipes will work better than any amount of sound deadening material ever will.

I am almost ready to put some sound and heat deadening and have looked into the lizard skin products. I think they will do a great job at controlling the sound and heat. Living in Texas I am really looking forward to reducing the heat that comes from the roof of the car. The good part is you can paint over it if you want to do the outside firewall, you just sand and apply body filler and it gives a smooth finish and stops the heat from the outside and then you can also spray the inside for the added protection from the heat and sound.

Kinda expensive but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Take a stroll over to pro-touring.com and ask the same question! Tons of guys over there have used all the different products, you will get some feedback...at least better than what you have recieved so far

I'd recommend staying away from any asphalt-based deadening products, especially if you live anywhere where it gets halfway hot during the summer. They are usually attractive because they are typically less expensive.

You'll pay a little more, but the butyl-based products are where it's at (SecondSkin, RAAMmat, Dynamat).

By the way, if you've got some time to kill (who doesn't?) you might want to check out this particular forum: www.diyma.com

It's a diy car audio-based forum. There's a ton of discussion regarding this particular subject. It's obviously an audio-based forum, however the ultimate goal is the same: making the passenger compartment as quiet as possible. As with any discussion forum, there will be several different opinions and viewpoints.....but there will be something that resonates with you (pun intended).

Most of the member build threads will have pictures of their deadening techniques as well.

-
Back