Sound ok?

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
[ame]http://youtu.be/oFrTcJW6xJk[/ame]

Ive ever had anything solid cam it makes me think something is wrong. Also is the puff of smoke from the valve cover hole normal?

That doesn't sound normal to me

Check the rocker lash while its warm, distributor curve could be looser as well, sounds kinda tight. It makes it feel lazy like that. That's a beast though!

Have you had much time to do tuning on it, setting up the carb and such? That might help too. Just feels kinda lumbering and tight. Maybe on the rich side of things.

You are gonna get more noise and smoke without a breather installed , and it will probably sling oil out the hole too

Get on that valve adjustment and it will quite down a bit. What heads are you running, you can tighten them up a bit more then spec for aluminum heads. What is the valve clearence on the cam you are running?

With the valve cover breather hole open, you'll get more noise from the valve train too, but I think you need to go over the valve adjustment. Just follow that Crane link I gave you on FB.

Well i adjusted the valves. It does seem to sound a little better. I also went around and tightened the headers they seemed fine. Not to say gaskets arent shot. Ive only got my idle set around 900 rpm what should a proper idle be maybe its lugging? Sorry for vid quality one man show here.

[ame]http://youtu.be/KJIWxv3UGNo[/ame]

If I remember right, that is a mechanical cam? That could be the majority of the noise right there. How's the timing curve look? Still sounds a little tight.

Have you by chance played with the springs in the distributor at all? Lighter?

Give it a shot, try second to lightest, and lightest; one on each side. The HEI re-curve kit is cheap at the parts store. It works for the standard dist, not sure about the big block one... don't know why it wouldn't... From the specs you gave me awhile back, it's like my cam; it likes a fast curve!! If that works, try all light and see if that makes a difference.

Light springs made a hell of a difference, reminds me of a leash, it's almost like the entire engine is tied to it.

You want the slack just tight enough it doesn't advance at idle, come on quick and hard up to 2500. You can feel where the rest is up to you.

Too much noise, I just watched your second video and something is going to fly apart if you dont find it now, that is if it is in the valve train, or as stated already could be an exhaust leak. Tightening the header bolts wont correct it, you will need to replace the gaskets. Either way I hope you find it, before it does damage...

-
Back